Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Rueful Potato Reading Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Darkkin

WF Veterans
Rue Dog and Potato Cat are the chroniclers of my home library. Here are a couple of our more recent reads:

IMG_20201121_135326.jpg World of Wonder, Pillow Thoughts VI, Dearly, and Dandelion

IMG_1635.JPG The Lost Spells

View attachment 26168 The Psychology of Stupidity

What books have recently made your shelves?

Matchu

I was attacked by a cat the night before last night. I apologise if I am less than pro-cat, and probably my hand will be amputated, unless I visit a chemist, or wash very soon.

Memories are of reading five big books this last year passed.

I project to read rather more books in 2021. Fussy, unless the narrator shares my every perspective I reject most stories - especially these sci-fi stories. Terrible experience on a sci-i forum... members spend their lives talking the Tolkien & the Star Trek hobbies. Thinking to form evil syndicate to eliminate all Hobbit networks? PM for evil details.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I had started out 2020 with this high-flown idea of reading some authors who were unfamiliar to me. Can't say I've done a great job with this but there were a few:

Catherine Steadman. Mr. Nobody and Something in the Water. I liked Mr. Nobody a bit better but they were both pretty good.
510NT3uw-hL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Richard K. Morgan. I was putting off reading this for some reason and when I finally did it was really really good cyberpunk.
51f48HNnLoL.jpg

C.J Box. I've enjoyed any of his books that I've picked up. Joe Pickett series especially.
51D7SKaEjoL._SX282_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I might have mentioned Naomi Novik before, can't remember. So good.
us-spinningsilver.jpg

Foxee

Patron
Patron
41glbr+9DBL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I just started listening to this audiobook and it's a delight. If you're a Star Wars fan it's nice to hear C-3PO's actor's gentle voice describing how the character came to be and what it was like to play the role in the Star Wars movies wearing a 60+ pound suit.

Monaque

I was attacked by a cat the night before last night. I apologise if I am less than pro-cat, and probably my hand will be amputated, unless I visit a chemist, or wash very soon.

Memories are of reading five big books this last year passed.

I project to read rather more books in 2021. Fussy, unless the narrator shares my every perspective I reject most stories - especially these sci-fi stories. Terrible experience on a sci-i forum... members spend their lives talking the Tolkien & the Star Trek hobbies. Thinking to form evil syndicate to eliminate all Hobbit networks? PM for evil details.
Sorry to hear about your experiences with Tolkienites and Trekkies, they can be pretty full on even for me, and I'm an avid reader and watcher of Sc-Fi as you know.

Richard K. Morgan. I was putting off reading this for some reason and when I finally did it was really really good cyberpunk.
Yeah they are, did you read all three?

I started the year with the intention of reducing my bookscraper, as I like to call it. Alas, it is even higher now than it was then. And don't even mention the digital books...

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Yeah they are, did you read all three?
Not yet! Library only stretched to the first one but the other two are on my list.

Here's one I'm just starting so it's maybe not a recommendation yet but I do like how it's starting off. It's about hope.
037994.jpg

Monaque

Not yet! Library only stretched to the first one but the other two are on my list.

Here's one I'm just starting so it's maybe not a recommendation yet but I do like how it's starting off. It's about hope.
View attachment 26275
Well it does sound like hope, must say. You'll enjoy the other two, they are different because he takes on different sleeves, but there is a thread through them all.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
51YmG6asJLL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

First time reading Ruth Ware, enjoyed this. Agatha Christie-ish but Ware has her own way of wrapping things up.

Monaque

View attachment 26294

First time reading Ruth Ware, enjoyed this. Agatha Christie-ish but Ware has her own way of wrapping things up.
Sounds interesting. I'm reading a book by Sophie Hannah who is writing more Poirot mysteries. How she came to be doing that I'm not sure, and it's not exactly Christie, but isn't too bad so far. Seems to be following a trend of allowing other writers to continue a series after the original author has died.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Sounds interesting. I'm reading a book by Sophie Hannah who is writing more Poirot mysteries. How she came to be doing that I'm not sure, and it's not exactly Christie, but isn't too bad so far. Seems to be following a trend of allowing other writers to continue a series after the original author has died.
True, though in this case, just to be clear, Ruth Ware isn't writing an Agatha Christie story.

Monaque

True, though in this case, just to be clear, Ruth Ware isn't writing an Agatha Christie story.
Of course, and I didn't mean to suggest that she did, not at all, what you said just reminded me of what I was currently reading and what I had thought when I first saw the book.