Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Roger Zelazny? (1 Viewer)

Hodge

pliable
I've heard of The Chronicles of Amber, and the premise does seem pretty interesting and original (and there's even a Merlin character). From what I gather, they're pretty humorous as well, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

Mike C

WF Veterans
I read a bunch of Zelazny many, many years ago. Can't tell you what titles, but a spread of SF and fantasy. The SF particularly left a lasting impression.

Straylight

RZ is easily my favorite author of all-time.

His Amber chronicles are great, on any number of levels. Unique and interesting prose, great plot, deep and sympathetic character, excellent supporting cast. And above all, the ideas behind it are just fabulous. I've never been as inspired.

A lot of people don't know about his other works though. Lord of Light is pretty much his best work (IMO)... it's a sci-fi/fantasy story featuring a cast of characters on a new planet using technology to assume the persona of Hindu gods. An Excellent story.

There's a collection of his short stories gathered under the name 'Last Defender of Camelot' that are practically required reading. Major kudos for 'Manna from Heaven'.

The thing I like about him is that he has a unique gift for writing about very powerful (usually immortal) characters, and yet keeping them human, making sure they're not perfect. That, and his unique prose. Some of his metaphors make me realize how far I have to go as a writer.

~SL

white-wolf

Damnation Alley, Roadmarks and The Changing Land are the only ones I remember reading -- apart from some of his Amber series.

I much prefer his Damnation Alley novel to the movie that didn't do it justice, in my opinion.

Roadmarks was also a wonderful story and the Amber series, at least the ones I have read, are very enjoyable. All in all I opine that he is a better than passable author :)