Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Robo-brains! (1 Viewer)

Joker

So I'm doing another pass on my outline and I've come to a pivotal sequence of events around the halfway point.

Here's how it goes. Corrit, while staking out a nightclub that the local vespian mob owns, gets into a fight with Skace, the mobster the woman he's been hired to find has run off with. Skace starts getting his ass beat so he orders Silver, the robot security guard they "hired" to help him. Since Corrit has actually shown concern for her well-being prior to this, she tells him to get stuffed. Ashix, said woman Corrit was supposed to find, isn't too happy about this, and hits Silver's remote override.

Corrit thinks fast and hurls Skace into Ashix, grabs Silver while they're distracted, and high tails it out of there. He then gets in contact with his doctor friend, Bensaid, and asks her to take a look at her. When she was shut off, she suffered from what's essentially neurological damage in humans.

So here's where I have to change things. Originally, Bensaid basically removed her brain and brought it back to his clinic for repair. He finds some crucial plot information while digging around. But before he can tell Corrit, he's whacked by Skace, who hears he's got it, somehow. He then takes the data core and cleans up the mess.

Well, then I realized something that should have been glaringly obvious... if Skace destroys the data cores, that would basically kill Silver! Can't have that, I need her. Poor doc, he's expendable.

So, does anyone have any ideas to make sense of this plot mess? I need some way for Corrit to get the plot information in a way that doesn't essentially kill Silver. Bensaid is actually preferable if he dies, to really hatchet the tension. I don't know anything about computers and very little about brains, so I don't know what to do here.

Tyrannohotep

Maybe Silver has some sort of backup data (e.g. on a cloud- or a USB-like drive) that they could retrieve in order to bring her back to "life"?

Joker

Maybe Silver has some sort of backup data (e.g. on a cloud- or a USB-like drive) that they could retrieve in order to bring her back to "life"?

I did consider that, but I thought it would be too cheap. The reader would never feel that any robot character was ever in any real danger.

MistWolf

Back-ups are the robotic Get Out Of Death Free card- so what? That's the advantage of being a robot. Or is it?

C'mon, you're a writer with a devious mind! Back-ups can be hacked, allowing unwanted changes to memory & programing. Programing can be infected with viruses. Back-up hardware can be damaged. Data transfers can be interrupted and data corrupted. Not enough? Turn up the jeopardy.

What if Autonomous Intelligences require special 3D processors for their sophisticated operating system to work? 3D processors can't be manufactured on a production line, they have to be grown, a difficult and delicate process and no two 3D processors are exactly alike. Upload of the OS has to be monitored and the program tweaked to work in developing 3D processor. While AI programing and memory can be backed-up and stored, it must be downloaded into a 3Dp to operate. However, if the original 3Dp is destroyed, there's no guarantee downloading the back-up into a new 3Dp will work. It can be done with monitoring and adjustments, but will the AI come through intact? Or will there be changes in how the AI processes data? Will there be personality changes? Will it result in limited processing? Will there be memory loss? Will there be robotic psychosis?

Put your mind to work and ask "What if...?" and see what comes to fruition.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I did consider that, but I thought it would be too cheap. The reader would never feel that any robot character was ever in any real danger.
In addition to MistWolf's excellent notes, the backup might not be easy to access. Like ... Skace has it. Restore Silver? New quest opens up. But then Silver isn't going to remember forming an attachment to Corrit ... unless there is a continuous wireless feed to the backup. ;-)