Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time (1 Viewer)

Sephiroth

First of all what do you people think of the Wheel of Time. Personally I think its one of the best series' I've read, even though the later books do drag on a bit.
ANd what do you think of the way the critics have said that Jordan is taking over from Tolkein.
"with the wheel of time, jordan has come to dominate the world that tolkein began to reveal"
what are your thoughts, if you have any.

H

Hurley

This is a series which has an extremely powerful start and only weakened as it progressed. I ended up purchasing the 10th book just because I already had the others, and never bothered finishing it. Too many characters, too many side plots, and too many books shattered what could have been a fantastic series.

I thought the books were really great at first, but as everyone else is pointing out they slow down the farther you get. I'm still planning to get the next book that comes out, but not until it's in soft cover! I don't like how it jumps to so many characters, but he's close to brilliant to be able to carry out all the side plots and stories.

Sephiroth

Apparently book 11 wraps up a lot of sub plots and gets rid of a lot minor characters.....wether or not it'll be good remains to be seen though i suppose.
Jordan may as well not have written book 10....it was completely pointless

also, yes reality is awful for young people, because of the actions of the older generations....but this not the topic for such discussion

Farror

WF Veterans
Starrwriter, that's a ridiculous exageration. Reading any book can be construed as a form of escapism, as it's no longer your life. (This is excluding books on self-improvement etc.)

To be concerned with "fascination with fantasy fiction". Hehe... Not my idea of something worth worrying about As for the fascination with ultra-violence, that's a myth created by media. Youth violence has gone down, not up. The current generation has the lowest violent crime rate in recorded history.

A

Aremthis

the older ones where (1-5) 6 was Ok, but at 7 I stopped reading, however I know I should keep going on.

MiloDaePesdan

The mere length of the series has stopped me time and again from even thinking of reading them.

Does Jordan leave the endings in cliffhangers?

Sephiroth

So has anyone read knife of dreams yet? I just finished it there, its the best book Jordan has released since Lord of Chaos, and its almost as action packed as the first three books of the series....Looking forward to the final book, which I beleive has the working title "A Memory of Light"

Rhea

I started reading the first book and I thought it was interesting, but then it dragged on and on, and I don't have the patience to read, what, 10 one thousand length books. The Wheel of Time was the first fantasy book I'd read since Narnia, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings - in that order, and I found the similarities to Orcs disturbing...then I found out, apparantly, it's very normal to have Orc-like beings in fantasy books. Which still doesn't really settle with me, but now I think I'm going off topic.

So...it started off pur-retty well, then I noticed loads of similarities with LotR, which I didn't like, and it was very draggy and long, with too many character focuses, so I stopped.

Farror

WF Veterans
So you formed you judgement of the series after not finishing the first book? I would say that trollocs are very different from orcs. Either you didn't understand Jordan's, or Tolkien's descriptions.

Sephiroth

Rhea said:
I started reading the first book and I thought it was interesting, but then it dragged on and on, and I don't have the patience to read, what, 10 one thousand length books. The Wheel of Time was the first fantasy book I'd read since Narnia, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings - in that order, and I found the similarities to Orcs disturbing...then I found out, apparantly, it's very normal to have Orc-like beings in fantasy books. Which still doesn't really settle with me, but now I think I'm going off topic.

So...it started off pur-retty well, then I noticed loads of similarities with LotR, which I didn't like, and it was very draggy and long, with too many character focuses, so I stopped.

the fist few hundred pages were supposed to remind us of the lord of the rings, Jordan said so himself....trollocs have nothing in common with orcs apart from the fact their both evil, and frankly i think wheel of time is far superior to lord of the rings in terms of scope and vision

Sephiroth

Maybe I used the word "vision" in the wrong sense....

Both have the idea of good versus evil, but WoT has shades of grey, and not a simple "if you're ugly or not a caucasian you're evil" thing going on. Both also deal with the fact that to achieve the greater good, there is a horrible amount of sacrifice to be made.
Maybe I used the word "vision" in the wrong sense....

epone

The Wheel of Time started out with such promise, but then I was young and naive at the time. I aged with the series and slowly became bored with it - too normal and run-of-the-mill, lacking true brutality for such a world, and definitely soul-less. But this is a problem with all fantasy these days. I had to move on to Sci-fi for my fix of realism. If there was little-to-none law enforcement in existence humanity would be morally sick and twisted, not cute and moralistic and fighting the 'good' battle.

I gave up at book eight I think. Has the series concluded yet? Is it safe to leave the house? And why do book makers change the jacket design halfway through a series? Looks really crap on a book shelf when that happens...

epone

I forgot to mention Tolkien - also over rated. Okay if you have no concept of humanity, but immature if you have. Sorry but dead people die and stay dead for a reason...