Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Reviews of The Moviegoer (1 Viewer)

Stewart

JoshuaOst said:
Can anyone give me a review of The Moviegoer by Walker Percy. I need it for a summer assignment.
Why would you need a review of The Moviegoer for an assignment? Are you trying to save time on reading it? If so, you are cheating yourself. Start now, there's still plenty of time remaining in the summer.

JoshuaOst

Stewart said:
Why would you need a review of The Moviegoer for an assignment? Are you trying to save time on reading it? If so, you are cheating yourself. Start now, there's still plenty of time remaining in the summer.
Actually I needed it so I could compare it in my own review. I found one anyways so I don't need one anymore. I have read the book and must say it was quite a bore.

JoshuaOst

Stewart said:
Can I read your review? I'd be interested in seeing why you think it is a bore.
Sure:
In the book, The Moviegoer, we follow a man known as Binx Bolling, an anxious, young stock broker who embarks on a search for meaning. Binx becomes enthralled in the idea of a search after being wounded in the Korean War, where he saw a dung beetle. Observing this dung beetle, there awoke an immense feeling of curiosity. He then vowed if he ever got out of the war alive, he would pursue the search. While on his search, Binx also has a great amount of affairs with a string of secretaries and also has a certain fondness for movies.
To tell the truth, I found this book rather boring. Before I get into why I found it boring, I would like to add that I truly tried to like this book. I’ve read and watched many books and movies on existentialism and find it to be a very interesting topic but after reading this book I was utterly disappointed.
My main reason why I did not like this book was because it never seemed to go anywhere. The main plot is basically about a guy who drifts through life having relationships with his many secretaries and watching movies. The only time that I really felt any rising action was at the end when his aunt almost has a nervous breakdown over his actions of bringing his half-cousin, Kate, to Chicago.
Although there may have been a slight increase in action, on the whole, the end was a pretty big disappointment as well. I found Binx’s actions of marrying Kate and going back to Medical School to be a big letdown. Instead of finishing his search, he decides to do something that he was opposed to doing in the first place. Therefore I found this book to be incomplete.
I also found during the sections of dialogue that it is very unclear who is talking, mostly because he never actually says who is talking but rather infers upon it. When reading this book I usually had to go back to the beginning of the dialogue sequence two or three times to find out who is saying what. This became rather annoying and time consuming. I also found the dialogue to be somewhat unrealistic and during the book many of the characters personalities seem to change in what seems like an instant. An example of this is how Sharon, his secretary, in the beginning of the book is just this timid girl that really shows no emotion but when Binx and she get into a relationship she suddenly becomes livelier.
While I did find a lot of negative aspects of this book, there was one thing I did like about it. While Binx Bolling really isn’t a protagonist you find in many books, I did sympathize with him. I found Binx to be very similar to me in his actions, especially in his love for movies. Binx watches movies because they provide him with valuable moments that are absent in his life and in this way, I can relate to him.
As stated in the attached review by David Mazzotta, “The Moviegoer is not a difficult read, but it is difficult to get a grip on.” Because of this I guess you can say that I did not like this book because I did not really get a “grip” on it. Therefore I might be wrong in my accusations about this book and may have to look deeper to fully appreciate it for what it is.
While I did not necessarily like this book I do give it credit for probably being the first novel to delve into the subject of existentialism, paving the way for other books and movies on the subject.