Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Reverse Chronology Poems (1 Viewer)

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Can anyone give me some examples of a reverse chronology poem (or short-short story)? I have Robert Frost's brilliant "Directive" but I'd like more. I'd like examples from well-known writers and I'd like links, too, if you have them. I saw an episode of the television show Seinfeld the other night, titled Betrayal. It was a reverse chronology piece that gave a nod to Harold Pinter's famous Betrayal. The tv show even had a character named Pinter. Anyway, the story was presented in reverse chronology (as was Pinter's work) and I've been searching for other examples ever since. I figure there are likely many examples from poets. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Llyralen

I had fun looking into this a bit but I am not coming up with more than you can find yourself most likely. I found reverse poems and palindrome poems and a mention that Virgil’s Aeneid is written in reverse chronological order. If I read it, it was years ago. Maybe others have ideas.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
Thanks for looking, @Llyralen. I know they're out there. Poets try everything so I know such poems have to be out there. I'll keep looking. If you happen to run into one, you know where to find me. I did enjoy learning about those poems that have one meaning when read top to bottom, and another meaning, using the same words, when read bottom to top so my search has been fun in spite of not finding what I'm looking for. Not yet, anyway. Thanks again.