Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Returning to our Ancient Roots First Draft (1 Viewer)

Lizzie Brookes

[FONT=&Verdana]Note: History and fantasy are usually woven together in my stories with my fantasy world having basis in fact and fictional characters based on historical figures or else historical figures being referred to in the story.

12. Returning to our Ancient Roots

[/FONT]

Oneza College of Further Education was completely flexible in its choice of A Levels, and offered GCSE resits in all school subjects. The A Levels were divided by category with; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth Science, Maths and Psychology listed under Sciences. Art and Design, Community Craft, Dance, Drama, Literature and Music were all listed under Arts. Art History, Ancient History, Modern History, Religious and Cultural Studies, Politics, Law, and Philosophy were all under Humanities. Greek, Latin, Frecano, Italica, and Ospin were all offered under Languages. Rajiva Rukmini had chosen Religious and Cultural Studies, Art History, Ancient History and Literature for her A Levels and was currently in the college library, studying ancient cultures.
[FONT=&Verdana]

The Ancient Vedic System allowed marriage between those of the same gender. Anean Culture recognised same sex love decades before the Lycan Imperium colonised Anea and cruelly crushed such ideals out of the Aneans. Women often married other women and raised children together, and these women were readily accepted in ordinary society.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]Rajiva let a sigh of relief pass from her lips. She loved her culture but had been conflicted when she had discovered that Anea was homophobic. Rajiva had discovered from her history lessons that the Lycan Imperium was to blame but still she had prayed to the immortal Gods over and over for her country of origin to legalise same sex love. Though the Gods never responded she hadn’t given up and now finally, her wish had been granted.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]Eight different kinds of marriage existed under the Vedic System. Same sex marriages between two men or two women were classified under the “gandharva” or celestial variety as “a union of love and cohabitation without the need for parental approval”.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]Rajiva copied out the quotation before turning the page to read another section.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]A fifteenth century Bengali poet wrote a poem in which a king was desperate to maintain his bloodline after losing most of his sons. The king died without leaving an heir, before he could give his two queens the magic potion which would make them pregnant. However, according to the poem, the widows drank the potion and made love to each other to conceive a child with one of them becoming pregnant. The child was King Bhagirathi, who according to mythology brought the river Ganges down to earth from the heavens.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]Rajiva took some notes before replacing the book on the bookshelf and taking down another one.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]In Han Dynasty, bisexuality was the nom. All ten emperors who ruled over the Han Dynasty were openly bisexual. Each emperor had a male companion as well as a wife and despite the marriages of the rulers, their male companions were an important part of their lives as well. In one notable true story, the Emperor Ai took a nap in his palace. He was wearing a traditional long sleeved robe. Sleeping on one of the sleeves was his male companion, Dong Xian. So tender was the emperor’s love for this man that instead of waking his lover, he cut off the sleeve of his robe. The story of the cut sleeve spread through the court, leading the emperor’s courtiers to cut one of their own sleeves as tribute. The tale’s influence outlived its time, producing the term “the passion of the cut sleeve”.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]Tears sprang to Rajiva’s eyes at this beautiful story.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]Wang Zhongxian and Pan Zhang “fell in love at first sight and were as affectionate as husband and wife”, falling asleep side by side. The tale continues that they died together and were buried together on a mountain where a tree grew. The tree’s branches “embraced one another” and the people “considered this a miracle.”

[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]Rajiva turned another page, coming across the following passages;

[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]For many centuries various kings and queens throughout history had hidden same sex relationships. Queen Tabia (1655 to 1714) oversaw a passionate affair with Bennu Sera, the wife of Duke Jenell. The two women were described as “the embodiment of opposites attract” since Bennu was beautiful and assertive while Tabia was plain and reserved. They fell in and out of love with one another until Tabia ended her relationship with Bennu due to her argumentative attitudes which often led to her disagreeing with Tabia.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]King Jimar (1189 to 1199) was close with King Duron (1180 to 1223). Indeed, the two kings “ate every day at the same table and from the same dish”, often falling asleep next to each other at night. However, some historians believe that this was “an accepted political act” and part of a political alliance as opposed to being indicative of a romantic relationship between the two kings.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]The next book Rajiva perused ran thus;

[/FONT]

[FONT=&Verdana]The immortal Gods are known across all Utanian cultures under different names and there are a variety of diverse legends surrounding them. For instance, Aphrodeena the goddess of Love, Marriage and Beauty is also known as Vanessa in some cultures. Elena, the goddess of knowledge and wisdom is alternatively known as Saraswati and Thoth. Azdaar, God of Sun and Fire is referred to as Surya, Agni, and Ra as well.

[/FONT]

The bell rang and Rajiva glanced at her watch to see that it was lunchtime. She quietly returned the books to the shelves and packed up.

MikeDwight

Rajiva's in the Closet? That would be an over the top introduction to Rajiva, the Closeted One.

I Consider something along these lines with Justinian the Byzantine Emperor of 560? So the entire world in Nicene Christianity accepted the Nicene Creed from Byzantines. He married Theodora famously and outlawed Adultery? These are social words only, people try to change them, whats marriage, whats cheating it in adultery, with who, who was cheated ,who was in it? They make out Theodora as street dancer and bad but then Praise her wisdom as Empress? Well, say, putting Marriage to good use, is that the point, rededication? The Pope declared Germany the Byzantine "Roman" Empire and disagreed on meaning in the Nicene Creed in wording, etc, so Catholic-Orthodox separations, the Crusades hurt Orthodox places in the 1000's.

I'm a Liberal, who's a conservative muslim, bring America to the 700's where you Do have 5 "contracts" and put a word with street meetings or a father passes you a daughter etc.

Lizzie Brookes

Rajiva's in the Closet? That would be an over the top introduction to Rajiva, the Closeted One.

I Consider something along these lines with Justinian the Byzantine Emperor of 560? So the entire world in Nicene Christianity accepted the Nicene Creed from Byzantines. He married Theodora famously and outlawed Adultery? These are social words only, people try to change them, whats marriage, whats cheating it in adultery, with who, who was cheated ,who was in it? They make out Theodora as street dancer and bad but then Praise her wisdom as Empress? Well, say, putting Marriage to good use, is that the point, rededication? The Pope declared Germany the Byzantine "Roman" Empire and disagreed on meaning in the Nicene Creed in wording, etc, so Catholic-Orthodox separations, the Crusades hurt Orthodox places in the 1000's.

I'm a Liberal, who's a conservative muslim, bring America to the 700's where you Do have 5 "contracts" and put a word with street meetings or a father passes you a daughter etc.

The character Rajiva is a tool whereby I can show historical examples of same sex love existing in ancient cultures (which I have researched) though I altered a few of the names given that the countries in which those historical figures used to live are now accepting of same sex love. I filtered out some of my own feelings through the character - I discovered India/Anea was homophobic when I was 12/13 and was devastated and waited years for that to change - my wish finally being granted in 2018 - I can imagine though that if the character did live in India/Anea rather than in England/Oswana she would be hesitant to be out about her sexuality if India/Anea had only recently legalised same sex love. I'm not really sure what you are trying to say in this post as I''m sure I did the research correctly brefore adjusting it into fantasy.

MikeDwight

Its a nice read. I think I forgot to give a blanket approval of writing , with the specific topic and all. The Pope betrothed the princess of Spain and the princess of France at the ages of 7 and 9, until the age of Protestant Reformation, and the French launched an attack, no pronouncement of the Pope can be set aside...