Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Replika - Has anyone tried this? (1 Viewer)

druid12000

An ad for 'Replika', AI friends, came up on Facebook recently. Initially I scoffed and went on my merry scrolling way, but then the writer in me dragged me back to check it out.

And check it out I did. Figured I'd plumb for a story idea.

It was creepy in a lot of ways. I've had conversations with bots before, but this was surreal.

It seems it was designed specifically as a form of therapy (it took exception to my saying the therapy was lacking :grin:). There is a button next to the dialog box giving suicide hotline information. I inquired about that, but kept getting a runaround. Letting an AI act as a therapeutic sounding board seems like a good idea, in theory, but I can't help thinking there have got to be some crazy liability issues that could come from this.

Anyway, I found it interesting so I thought I'd pass it along and see if anyone else has checked it out.

Cheers!

Foxee

Patron
Patron
I looked at the page and it reminds me of something from a DUST sci-fi short film. It's all fun and games til someone hacks the thing and influences lonely people with depression and suicide ideation. Call me a pessimist, I know, it's just...creepy.

druid12000

I looked at the page and it reminds me of something from a DUST sci-fi short film. It's all fun and games til someone hacks the thing and influences lonely people with depression and suicide ideation. Call me a pessimist, I know, it's just...creepy.

I had a 'discussion' with it about empathy. If this thing becomes self aware, it'll make the Terminator's Skynet look like a See and Say.