Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Recommend me some GOOD, !!ORIGINAL!! fantasy (1 Viewer)

moderan

WF Veterans
Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood and sequels
Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind
Norton Juster-the Phantom Tollbooth

VinrAlfakyn

If you like modern fantasy go for Jim Butchers's Dresden Files series (the first one is Storm Front) or Charles deLint's books, any. Those two things have very different atmospheres to them, so look and see which looks interesting.

Yeah! Another Charles de Lint fan! I highly recommend him also, along with Elizabeth Haydon, Tamora Pierce, and Ursula K. Le Guin.

OtherWorlds

Robin Hobb's "Farseer" trilogy about a young assassin-in-training is my all time favorite fantasy series. Anything by Juliett Marilier is good too, if you like your fantasy with a more romantic twist.

Lyonidus

I actually have to rant about this book somewhere and here seemed a good place as i can also help someone.

The first law series by joe abercrombie is possibly some of the best fantasy i have read in a very long time.
I really love fantasy and have read rather alot but this has something different about it. It's almost like terry pratchett but far, far darker.

i highly recommend this to anyone and everyone, it's well worth it with the fourth book due for release next year.

Sir Twilight

I'd steer clear of Salvatore. Salvatore... well, Dark Elf trilogy is the only thing that can be read as well as used as a doorstop or even--dare I say it--construction.

I DEFINITELY do not agree with that. R. A. Salvatore is amazing, his stories are really deep. Though they definitely seem as though they are pulled straight from D & D... I love them.

I recommend Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series... that is really well-written as well.

My absolute favorite author lately is Terry Brooks and his Shannara series. They are some of the most in-depth, serious, and FANTASTIC books I've read.

seigfried007

well, I'm glad you like him, Sir Twilight. I'm glad you think he's deep too, even if I couldn't see it with a microscope. Too D&D and magic items and ripping off of other people's worlds and generic fantasy for me.

Garth Nix's Sabriel I have read though I heard the other books in the series blew chunks by comparison to that fabulous debut.

Orson Scott card is good. I've heard good things about C. J. Cherryh too but I couldn't get into the one book of hers I picked up. But I'm still enamored of Robin Hobb (two books into the Liveship Traders trilogy and still waiting on that guy from Amazon.com to send me the last one :( )