Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Recommend me some GOOD, !!ORIGINAL!! fantasy (1 Viewer)

kerr511 said:
Robin Hobb, everything she has written is pure art.
Read the Farseer Trilogy first.

The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings is one of the best written stories I have read.
couldnt reallty get into robin hobb...no particular reason

redeemption of althalus is fantastic ive read it aout 10 times now...never get bored...

Banzai

Logos said:
Philip Pullman "The Golden Compass," "The Subtle Knife," and "The Amber Spyglass" are not very well known

Do you think so? I would have said they were very well known. He has won numerous awards for them, and I don't know many people who haven't read them. Perhaps it is just famous in Britain. Still very good, though, even if the first one, 'Northern Lights' (which was published as 'The Golden Compass' in the US, I think), was rather slow to get started.

Due on Maple Street

Most of Gemmel's work stands alone by itself. True reading it in order can sometimes give you a better sense of history most of it still stands on its own. Most of them aren't continuations of this set of characters or another, just set in the same historical line. Such as the drenai saga isn't one story just a set of stories in the same world and backdrop. I've read just about all of his stuff that I've found. He one of my favorites along with David Eddings, Feist, Mieville, and the grandaddy of it all Fritz Lieber. Big fan of the Gray Mouser.

Lyonidus

I agree with kerr551, raymond e feist and robin hobb are musts but also try wizards first rule, i cant remember the author at the moment but its very good.

DaBags311

Orson Scott Card the Alvin Maker series. Alternate American frontier with folk magic and an emphasis on character development along with an epic story. Although I enjoyed Enders Game, and Enders Shadow even more, I really think Orson came into his own writing Alvin Maker. It just seems like a much more mature work.

Oh, and if you don't enjoy A Song of Ice and Fire that's fine, it's not for everybody, but if you try and tell me GRRM isn't a very very good writer then there we must disagree.

Last edited:
Logos said:
they are the anti-Chronicles of Narnia, Pullman has written several essays on how the forcefully religious overtones in C.S. Lewis's books were crippling to his story telling (essentially it was just thinly veiled preaching).

As if Pullman killing off the Supreme Being (or whatever he called him) in the Lyra books wasn't thinly veiled anti-religion preaching?

I liked that series a lit, but the way he pulled the theology into it didn't seem any more subtle than what Lewis did.

If you like modern fantasy go for Jim Butchers's Dresden Files series (the first one is Storm Front) or Charles deLint's books, any. Those two things have very different atmospheres to them, so look and see which looks interesting.

Redemption of Althalus got boring to me. It was written so detatched, I couldn't get into the characters.

A Cavern of Black Ice by J.V. Jones.

bob rulz

Lyonidus said:
I agree with kerr551, raymond e feist and robin hobb are musts but also try wizards first rule, i cant remember the author at the moment but its very good.

That would be Terry Goodkind, the first book in his Sword of Truth series. I haven't read any of it myself, but several of my friends have praised it (at least the first few books in the series).

L

Lolita Jayne Scarlet

I haven't seen it previously mentioned, but Maggie Furey, her Artifacts of Power series. I personally love the series (what I've read so far) the only thing about the series that bugs me any is the spelling and grammar here and there. I think it's a great story though!

xx Lola

Kira the wanderer

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and American Gods is amazing. His fantasy just isn't the typical stuff. Bloody insane, what that man can write.

Svalbard

Have to say as others have already, Steven Erikson, you will not get anything as original as his world.

George R.R. Martin, and as Talia said, WTF about Robb Stark. George really likes to upset his reader. Refreshing.

But the all time fav. and the one for easy reading and great cliches, it has to be David Gemmell.

Honourable mentions go to Tad Williams and R.Scott Bakker.

M

martlet

Hi,

a few fantasy writers you might like :

- Jeff VanderMeer (a little like china miéville, but writes much better IMHO). Try City of Saints and Madmen.
- Catherynne M. Valente. The Orphan's Tales is awesome. Great prose, great fairy tale stories.
- Jeffrey Ford's short story collections : The fantasy writer's assistant, and The Empire of Ice Cream.

In the epic genre, Greg Keyes is quite good ([SIZE=-1]Kingdom of Thorn and Bone) if you like multiple POV series (Martin, Erikson, Bakker).

For [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]good standalone books, [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]you should check out Guy Gavriel Kay (The Lions of Al-Rassan is my favorite of his, Tigana is good too).

Hope that helps !
[/SIZE]

PageOfCups

James Clemens is an excellent writer. His Banned and the Banished series (starting with Wit'ch Fire) are probably the best I've ever read. Robin Hobb is also a genius.

And is anything in fantasy original anymore? While it's my favourite genre it does just seem like most of it is an authors (occasionally) unique take on an already existing concept.

R

RainyDayNinja

You could try "Monster Hunter International" by Larry Correia. It's kind of an occultish action story, but elves and orcs make an appearance (though not as you usually see them). He self-published it, and you can read the first chapter on his blog. I read the entire second half of it for most of the day when I should have been doing homework instead.

CodeRed

Anything by Lucius Shepard, The Tales of the Otori, by Lian Hearn (5 books in total), and The Wandering Unicorn by Manuel Mujica Láinez.

seigfried007

I'll ditto Robin Hobb. Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies were both excellent, though I haven't read her other stuff.

Garth Nix, Sabriel, I liked though I've heard the others in that series were crap. The notion of using bells as weapons and binding devices was intriguing to no end for me.

I'd steer clear of Feist and Salvatore. Feist is all elves and magic and dying dragons and I just couldn't get into past the Magician books. Salvatore... well, Dark Elf trilogy is the only thing that can be read as well as used as a doorstop or even--dare I say it--construction.

I'm not a fan of His Dark Materials. The whole point of the series was to choke the reader with anti-God sentiment and that's exactly what it did. I thought that message got old really fast (on account of its being hammered into my skull) and that many of the characters were boring, selfish and rather pointless. I liked the first book mostly because of Iorek. Many of the magic items I found intriguing (far more so than magic swords and armor and rings). In short, numerous nifty world-building tricks but I came away feeling like I'd been yelled at by a writer that knew of no such thing as subtlety and just wanted to kill God. At that point, it sadly devolved into sigh-worthy adolescent ranting rather than good fiction.

Perhaps you might try old-fashioned horror (Poe, Lovecraft) or science fiction (McCaffrey, Orson Scott Card) to get your jollies.

Normski

Personally I cannot stand Eddings. One good story re-written many times imvho.

Good fantasy is like sex. what turns you on may have the opposite effect on 90% of the population. Donadlson's first series was excellent. The Camber of Culdi (Derynni ?) series was well done as well, but is dated now. Salvatori first efforts I liked, but only as light reading.

The Mega-Series, Sword of Truth and Wheel of Time both very good to start with, but losst their eway in the last couple of books.

Ilasir Maroa

Normski "Deryni". A decent series, and not of the usual D&D type, but there're some annoying religious aspects, usual repression of witches by the Church.