Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Recommend me some GOOD, !!ORIGINAL!! fantasy (2 Viewers)

stupid_dream

Okay, recommend me some good, ORIGINAL fantasy besides J.R.R. Tolkien (who I despise) and George R.R. Martin. Don't recommend me Ray Bradbury or J.K. Rowling (I have already read a good majority of their stuff.)

Rob

How do we know you'll like what we recommend? Go look in your local book store or library and flick through the books in the Fantasy section. Choose something that appeals and hope for the best.

Cheers,
Omni

kerr511

Robin Hobb, everything she has written is pure art.
Read the Farseer Trilogy first.

Obviously Magician by Raymond E Feist.

The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings is one of the best written stories I have read.

Dephere

Other than George RR Martin and Steven Erikson I don't even bother with fantasy anymore. I can't seem to keep myself occupied with the stories.

But George and Steven have intricate worlds that I enjoy.

Banzai

I suppose you could count Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series. Technically it is science fiction, but it is one of the geneses of the whole dragonriders fad.

C

chris54321

To be honest, I thought Magician was poor and amateurish. Obviously read Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy if you haven't already. I think they're some of the best fantasy I've read in a long time (they're not high fantasy, obviously).

Minka

"The Cup of the World" by John Dickinson. It's not well heard of, but it's a very dark and gothic fantasy that's beautifully written.

Due on Maple Street

David Gemmel's where it's at. But for good original fantasy the likes you have not read pick up China Mieville's The Scar or Perdido Street Station. They both start off a little slow, but by the time you close the last page you should be sufficiently impressed.

Talia_Brie

I didn't like China Meiville. I read The Scar, and it was a little painful.

I really like George Martin and Steven Erikson. R Scott Bakkar is also in their league I think in terms of world building. These three are at the top of my list I think (I'm reading A storm of swords part 2 at the moment - Robb Stark! WTF?).

I wouldn't call Feist or Gemmell original, though I enjoy them both. I think David Gemmell was among the best (and most prolific) writers of heroic fiction around. What discourages me about reading him now is that I don't know where to start. While his books are often related (eg the Drenai novels, or the Druss stories) there are a sufficient number of standalone books. It's all very confusing.

Kane

I really like George Martin and Steven Erikson. R Scott Bakkar is also in their league I think in terms of world building. These three are at the top of my list I think (I'm reading A storm of swords part 2 at the moment - Robb Stark! WTF?).

I'm reading Bakker's trilogy right now... what's A Storm of Swords part two? I've never heard of it.

Oh, and stupid, if you don't like Martin I don't know who I'd recommend, unless it'd be some of that D&D stuff that gets churned out every month, or maybe Eragon.

Logos

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0440238609/?tag=writingforu06-20

Philip Pullman "The Golden Compass," "The Subtle Knife," and "The Amber Spyglass" are not very well known, but are some of the best fantasy novels ever written - they are the anti-Chronicles of Narnia, Pullman has written several essays on how the forcefully religious overtones in C.S. Lewis's books were crippling to his story telling (essentially it was just thinly veiled preaching). This book:http://www.amazon.com/dp/0375831444/?tag=writingforu06-20 was written about his series. There is also a movie forthcoming, for those of you who like to tell your friends that the book was better.

Talia_Brie

Kane said:
I'm reading Bakker's trilogy right now... what's A Storm of Swords part two? I've never heard of it.

It might have just happened in Australia, but Martin's books have been published like this:

1. Game of Thrones
2. Clash of Kings
3. A Storm of Swords part one - Steel and Snow
4. A Storm of Swords part two - blood and gold.
5. A Feast for Crows

A

ArcticJill

'Cotton Wool World' by Anna Westwood
Hi All,
I have just finished reading the above title which I found on the off chance at Amazon. Had no idea what it would be like but was looking for a new author to read. It's an incredable book which made me open my eyes and look at my life! The story follows a woman, disillusioned with what society expects of her and is written in a really unusual way, it sort of has a plot but follows the disjointed thought patterns that occur to the central character during the course of a flight. It is engaging and funny and full of risky issues some writers would be unsure of tackling. It is a book I wouldn't recommend to the faint of heart or strictly religious as it may be taken a touch offensively but it is an honest, original and unparalled work in my opinion. A real refreshing chance but one which may make you sit up and take notice of your own situation!
Jill.

Rob

It seems odd that someone would sign up with a writing forum and straight away post in a couple of threads plugging a book on Amazon. What relationship are you to the author, if any?

Cheers,
Rob