Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Recommend a Website (1 Viewer)

galt

There are a plethora of websites that help with writing. So recommend your favorite! You must provide a minimum two-sentence description so we know what it is, as well as a link. Here's mine:

http://www.m-w.com/
It's an online dictionary. The best one, even better than Dictionary.com, because of the audio pronunciation! Just click and listen to how you're supposed to say a word. Also, I like the word-of-the-day feature, and the daily word game. You can download a free online toolbar so when you come across a word like peccadillo, you can type it in and a definition will open in a separate box. This website will help enhance your vocabulary.

Last edited:

Ty_lol

Dictionary.com is my best friend. I tend to keep that site open all day because I can always go there to look things up, use the thesaurus, and also use the encyclopedia. What can I say? I can't spell worth a crap!
Ty

Scarecrow

www.wikipedia.org

Rapidly growing to hold a monopoly on all information (both useful and useless). I use this nearly every day. The reference desk is especially helpful when I need to know the answer to a question.

Rob

I'm going to recommend the website of John Ravenscroft, who I've come across elsewhere on the internet, on a different forum. John is a solid guy, extremely helpful to others. His site contains useful links. Most of all, though, he has written some lovely short stories, worthy of reading, available on his site.

http://www.johnravenscroft.co.uk/

Cheers,
Omni

Pawn

Patron
Of course. So long as you're not recommending your own websites, this is all perfectly above board.

galt

Ty_lol said:
I tend to keep that site open all day because I can always go there to look things up, use the thesaurus, and also use the encyclopedia.
Dictionary.com has an encyclopedia?
Neh neh, Merriam Webster is much better. You can't download a dictionary toolbar from Dictionary.com, can you? Neh, use Merriam Webster. And dictionary.com doesn't have word games or audio pronunciation.

Good choice, Scarecrow. I'm very fond of Wikipedia and I wiki different things every day. The other day I wikied Mitt Romney. I love how you can type in anything from Mario Kart to the War on Terrorism and get comprehensive info.

Are you a friend of John's, Omnius? Well, I'll take a look at the website.

Don't we have an advertisement section for this?
Yeah, maybe we should limit our recommendations to free websites.

Last edited:

Rob

galt said:
Are you a friend of John's, Omnius? Well, I'll take a look at the website.
Not a close friend, no. I know John through a writers' forum similar to this one. But I do admire his work.

Cheers,
Omni