Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Recomendations to Fuel my Inspiration? (1 Viewer)

Ghost.X

Any particular recommendations for a writer? I have read some Orson Scott Card and plan on reading more. I enjoy sf and fantasy, but I want to expand on the things I read. Any truly chilling books that I might read that can stimulate fear like a movie can? Like The Grudge or The Ring? I always wondered how a writer would write a fast paced action scene. Any good kung-fu books out there?

Stewart

As a bit of an aside, how about The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea by Yukio Mishima? It has a grim finale that may be to your tastes.

riversource

For fantasy i'd recommend a trilogy of books by Garth Nix: Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen. They're about necromancers etc. absolutely fantastic and with some pretty fast paced battles etc.

Also, the have the creepiest avatar i've seen yet.:shock:

ruksak

Try some Haruki Murakami - The Wind Up Bird Chronicles is a good start to something new and wonderfully surreal.

B

bluromantic

I know this is absolutely the most cliched advice out there, but start reading classics... however boring & unstimulating of fear they may seem. People shouldn't just focus on one genre. How could you be a writer?! and be completely ignorant of Shakespeare?!

For example:
- Jane Austen (kind of scary b/c all the women always think about marriage)
- Lord of the Flies (this was kind of scary, I suppose)
- Great Gatsby
- The Iliad
- Shakespeare (he's so scary good)
- Wuthering Heights (kind of scary, b/c of the revenge)
- Dickens
- Lolita (Humbert Humbert is a pedophile. frightening.)
- Catch-22
- Catcher in the Rye (kind of scary, b/c the protagonist is loco)
- etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghost.X

I read much Edgar Allan Poe, Shakespeare and had written an essay on Lord of The Flies. But I'll be sure to look in to those other ones.

red lantern

Also, you the have the creepiest avatar i've seen yet.:shock:

I agree with riversource its scary, good but scary and I like the Devil Jin in your sig

Try Robin Hobb's assassin's apprentice series (were beasts, assassins sorcery, lust and psychosis and more poisons than you can poke a stick at included)

Last edited:
E

Edgewise

Scary? I know I throw this particular title around a bit to much, but "1984" is frightening in a realistic way...by which I mean the world the protaganist lives in, the experiences he goes through, and the potential for such a world to develop.