Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Recently Read Books (1 Viewer)

J

J.E.L.M.

Most recently, I have read two great books.

The first was a fantasy book by Robert Jordan called The Eye of the World. It was quite good and I enjoyed reading it.
The other book was even better, to me anyway. It is the third in the trilogy by Greg Cox about Khan Noonien Singh, one of the most famous anti-hero's in the Star Trek universe that was in the orgional series episode Space Seed and the movie Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan.
The book itself is called To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh. The first two were called The Eugenics Wars Part 1 and 2:The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Signh.

Magitek Angel

Ahh Wheel of Time, good stuff.

I haven't really done much reading for fun since I arrived here at University. For 20th century lit I just finnished Virginia Woolfe's Mrs. Dalloway. While I profoudly hated it, I'll give it the credit of being a lot more interesting to discuss in class. I actually drifted off towards the end of the lecture and started drawing a rather romanticised sketch of Septimus getting his.

Right now I'm in the middle of Faulkner's As I Lay Dying, for the same class. Much better read, for me anyway.

Stewart

Magitek Angel said:
I just finnished Virginia Woolfe's Mrs. Dalloway. While I profoudly hated it, I'll give it the credit of being a lot more interesting to discuss in class.

I can't fault you there. I got about seventy pages into Mrs Dalloway before just tossing it aside. I had no idea who was who, who did what, why things were going on, etc. All I knew was the woman was obsessed by flowers. I think.

Seras

Magitek Angel said:
I haven't really done much reading for fun since I arrived here at University.

Oh man do I know that feeling. While at college, I could barely get my course books read, and half the time I just skimmed them. Leisure reading on the other hand was a joke. If I got twenty pages read in an entire day that was an amazing feat. But since graduating in May, I've been reading like a girl possesed and now the tally stands at ten books o_O;;

Anyway, back to recent books I've read. Well, the <i>Book of The New Sun</i> series by Gene Wolfe was amazing. I really liked his writing style and the way he blended science fiction with fantasy. The book is pure sci-fi, but you keep forgetting that with troop of characters he created. Though I did enjoy the books, I felt a little gypped and slightly confused as to what the hell happened in the last one and I blanked when Wolfe decided to channel Socrates for a whole chapter and slipped into philosopher mode.

Another series of books I finished and highly highly reccomend is C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy (<i>Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls,</i> and <i>Crown of Shadows</i>) which was absolutly insane. There were times that I got so wrapped up in the book that when I finally yanked myself away I was left in a literal daze, unable to remember where I was and I kept whispering the main characters' names under my breath like one would whisper the name of a lover who was far away. Friedman's books are gut wrenchingly beautiful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread