Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Really Weird Snacks... (1 Viewer)

Darkkin

WF Veterans
What is a snack you absolutely love, but know is really kinda weird.

One of mine is butterscotch pudding and fruit flavoured mini marshmallows.

Another is cold mashed potatoes (homemade) and ketchup.

And I know for a fact that most third graders have better eating habits than I do. My list of won't eats is horrendous. It has nothing to do with the taste of a food. It is all texture related. 😬

Last edited:

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Probably not weird enough for this thread but sometimes I really like a banana (juuuust when it's ripe, no sugar spots), saltines, and coffee. Sweet, salty, bitter. Works well.

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
My major vice are the Brach's peppermint candies I keep by my desk. That's probably not weird enough to qualify.

Oh - I forgot... my wife is half Dutch, and I love it when she makes Oliebollen (Dutch doughnuts).

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
My favourite quick sandwich, peanut butter on one slice, thick Marmite on the other and slap them together.

Do Americans have Marmite? It's what Australians call Vegimite, made from yeast left over from brewing I don't think it has any food value at all except for a few B vitamins and salt. Tastes great though, unless you hate it.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
My favourite quick sandwich, peanut butter on one slice, thick Marmite on the other and slap them together.

Do Americans have Marmite? It's what Australians call Vegimite, made from yeast left over from brewing I don't think it has any food value at all except for a few B vitamins and salt. Tastes great though, unless you hate it.
With the magic of Amazon I could get either Marmite or Vegemite for...I guess about as much as I'd pay for real maple syrup (a little pricey but doable). I've never eaten it, though, or seen it on an American table.

For such a sandwich as yours, Ollie, the usual spread would be peanut butter (unless someone had an allergy)

-xXx-

Financial Supporter
the most recent strange snack?
peanut butter, butter, honey, cinnamon, ginger, crushed crunchy granola bars(near dust crush)
(almond powder can be substituted for peanut butter
if almond powder, increase liquid
permit significant absorption before finish)

split batch into tiny (less than 2" sauce-side-size) sealable containers
refrigerate pending use

kinda like spreadable no-cook-fudge
portable
goes great with range of cookies/crackers/pretzels/chips/tortillas/breads
goes great with range of fruits/veggies-including dried (banana chips/apricots, etc)
never exactly the same

yeah.
you can drop trail-mix stuff in.
i chop that fine first.
dried pineapple/cranberries give a nice zest.
i did put some inside oatmeal cookie ice cream sandwiches.
it were yum.
i have a variation
diluted like dressing, too.
;)

I really, really like the squishy texture of plain salt dough, so occasionally I mix up flour and water in a bowl with big crystals or flakes of salt. Then I just chew on it bit by bit. I can't eat too much at once because raw flour isn't great for you, but salt dough with big crystals of salt is soo satisfying. I just love the squishiness and stretchiness, and then the sudden crunch of salt flavor!! Mmm.

I also love the white part of the orange.

Pamelyn Casto

WF Veterans
My snacks aren't very weird . . . but these are my favorites. I always have good old-fashioned Chex mix on hand. I make tons of it every Christmas and give it out to various people who also love it. Other times I make a couple of gallons of it and freeze it so I can take out a tiny bowl full at a time for a satisfying snack whenever I need one.

I also love a handful of veggie sticks and a tiny container of red pepper hummus. Or celery sticks and red pepper hummus.

Mozzarella cheese sticks I totally adore but I have to hide them from myself and pray I don't find them.

MooreMom523

I LOVE oyster crackers! I also love Saltines. I used to crush up Saltines in a bowl and eat it with a spoon, because I liked the flakiness and powdery-ness. Haven't done that in a bit because I haven't been buying Saltines.
I used to do similar with graham crackers. It was more like a homemade cereal. Smash them all up (satisfying action), douse them with milk, and spoon up the goodness.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hmmm...weird? Nothing weird per se...maybe obsessive though. Every night before I go to bed I must have a bowl of yogurt, blueberries, and walnuts. During the day I snack regularly on mixed nuts and Miss Vickies. I'll keep thinking though...there must be something...

Edit: Do canned sardines and oysters count?

Last edited:

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator

I'm North American and married to a Brit. So yes, we always have Marmite in the fridge. I have no idea what it is or why he eats it...but I understand it's a love/hate kind of thing.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
I'm North American and married to a Brit. So yes, we always have Marmite in the fridge. I have no idea what it is or why he eats it...but I understand it's a love/hate kind of thing.
Marmite in the fridge? What is this heresy?

And yes, it is very much a love hate thing.

BTW, I could give you a recipe for marmite, chilli & cheese flapjacks if you'd like. ;)

Earp

Brown sugar sandwiches on soft white bread with butter. Also, cinnamon graham crackers spread with frosting made from confectioner's sugar and a little milk.

That Vegemite stuff looks inedible. I like my peanut butter sandwiches with crisp lettuce.

Turnbull

Ah yes, the sinner's spread. I do not partake. :p

Uncooked ramen counts as a snack, right? Back in the days when my tummy was better, I would fry up some squash and douse it with AC vinegar and lemons until it's extremely sour, and then put it on some completely unseasoned rice. Complete bachelor food.