Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Raymond E. Feist - Riftwar series... What do you think? (1 Viewer)

epone

Personally I enjoyed them. Read them all in a tent up in Scotland as it was raining a lot (no surprise there then). For me he beats Terry Brooks and Robert Jordon. I haven't read any of his other works though, but judging him by the riftwar world he created - I recommend him if you want a taste of fantasy.

Last edited:

bobothegoat

I liked the original Riftwar books, as well as the ones he co-authored with Janny Wurts (the ones that take place on the other side of the rift). The others aren't too bad either, but the first book of Conclave of Shadows was a complete disappointment. I haven't read the other books in it.

semtecks

I read Magician and thouroughly enjoyed it. I haven't got around to reading his other books yet. But I definately will in time.

crackpotkate

I completely agree with bobothegoat. The riftwar series was a revelation to me as a writer, his imagination knows no bounds...and the trilogy co-written with Janny Wurts...I'd say I liked them even more. Anyone who's into fantasy/sci-fi or Tolkein should without doubt read these books.

Farror

WF Veterans
I liked the Riftwar Saga, the Empire one, and the Serpentwar saga. Anything outside of that, I've enjoyed much less. (Including the King's Bucaneer etc.)

Talia_Brie

Farror said:
I liked the Riftwar Saga, the Empire one, and the Serpentwar saga. Anything outside of that, I've enjoyed much less. (Including the King's Bucaneer etc.)

I concur. I thought the conclave of shadows books were complete crap, as was Prince of the Blood. The Tales of the Riftwar books are a blatant marketing and profiteering exercise.

Seattle, Magician was originally prepared as a single volume (which is how it was packaged in Australia) and was following by Silverthorn and Darkness at Sethanon

sisceal

epone said:
Personally I enjoyed them. Read them all in a tent up in Scotland as it was raining a lot (no surprise there then). For me he beats Terry Brooks and Robert Jordon. I haven't read any of his other works though, but judging him by the riftwar world he created - I recommend him if you want a taste of fantasy.

I couldn't get past page 20 in the first Wheel of Time, and got about half way through 'the sword of truth trilogy'. So it's safe to say he beats them for me too, LOL.
I think he's great, though Magician is the best one of the series in my opinion.

ThatSmokingGuy

He also wrote a one off book called "Faerie Tale" which is full of celtic imagery, woodland sprites and ghostly blacksmiths haunting a forest in modern day England. It's a great story, and strangly sensual.

Talia_Brie

ThatSmokingGuy said:
He also wrote a one off book called "Faerie Tale" which is full of celtic imagery, woodland sprites and ghostly blacksmiths haunting a forest in modern day England. It's a great story, and strangly sensual.

When I first read that I thought it was just sensational. But I tried to re-read it a little while ago, and bleah. I guess maybe I've grown out of Feist.

Users who are viewing this thread