Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Radio 4(UK): "Where are all the working class writers?" (1 Viewer)

Phil Istine

WF Veterans

The link is a recording of a 27-minute radio 4 item from 2017. It is UK-centric but there is probably something there for people from other nations - if the content may be listened to in other countries. As a working class Brit who likes to scribe, I found it interesting.

ppsage

WF Veterans
Maybe this is just an aged Yank thing but it's curious to me that she draws such a clear distinction between working class and middle class. I feel like that wouldn't fly with the American working class, at least of my vintage. They will all say they are middle class.

JBF

Staff member
Global Moderator
Short answer: most of the working class are working, and unless they're single and have no overarching obligations, probably lack the time to write the next great novel.

Which is unfortunate.

Irwin

Maybe this is just an aged Yank thing but it's curious to me that she draws such a clear distinction between working class and middle class. I feel like that wouldn't fly with the American working class, at least of my vintage. They will all say they are middle class.
I agree. The term "middle class" is a measure of income or wealth. "Working class" refers to the type of work a person does: working class vs. professional class. Manual labor vs. intellectual labor.