Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Questions about Catch-22. Spoilers. (1 Viewer)

1. I'm not sure if I just wasn't paying enough attention or not, but what exactly was the deal with the guy near the end saying something to Yossarian along the lines of, "We've got your buddy"?

2. What was the deal with the Chaplain and Yossarian's common senses of deja vu?

3. What does "disappeared" mean? Does it mean that the higher ups kill someone or what?

quarterscot

Now trying to remember a book read incessantly when I was a teenager but not for about 10 years...

There's a sense of paranoia and insanity which builds throughout the novel, isn't there? Underlining it is Yossarian's conviction that the people on 'his' side are much more likely to kill him than the so-called enemy. The "we've got your buddy" episode is part of that and I was never sure that he hadn't just imagined the whole incident. Likewise the notion of being disappeared, which does as you say generally refer to government assasinations. (c.f. The Mothers Of The Disappeared in Argentina, relatives of victims of the military junta). But the idea of people vanishing is also used more generally throughout Catch-22. Clevinger flying into a cloud and never flying out; the Soldier In White who just turned out to be a lot of bandages with nobody inside. If there's a 'deal' with this, it's maybe just Heller trying to express the suddenness and mystery of death in wartime.