Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Quantum Physics/Mechanics, Parallel Worlds (1 Viewer)

D

delirium

Any suggestions on Books/Authors of Quantum Physics/Mechanics, Parallel Worlds/Universes/Dimensions please?

aisha

Hey delerium, if you've read His Dark Materials, I highly reccomend reading 'The Science of His Dark Materials'. It sounds totally off what you wanted but it covers everything you wanted - dimensions of different worlds/universes and theorys of how it all works. It's long but an easy read (for the quantam physics category. And it also explains how to help write about physics in fiction. By two high-class scientists (I wouldn't know who they are, obviously :)).

D

delirium

Thank you very much aisha, this sounds useful, i will have a look around for those.

aisha

A Brief History of Time, is amazing - it's quite basic in relation to the whole quantam physics thing - but it is great. -wished i'd thought of it first- :)

I'm not sure if you're looking for non-fiction or fiction, but Robert J. Sawyer writes good fiction about parallel worlds in the Neanderthal Parallax series and quantum physics in FlashForward.

D

delirium

pride.in.introspection im primarily looking for non-fiction, but im open to suggestions of fiction too, thanks for your suggestion.

R

Rivettovski

Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe is fantastic, covers String and M theory and shoves it all into terms most high-schoolers can read. Hawking's A Brief History of Time is also excellent. A little more on the complex side, Roger Penrose has a few books out on the Quantums, and Kip Thorne's Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy is written in laymen's terms and covers Black Hole Theory up until the mid-90's.

D

delirium

Rivettovski, thanks very much for your recommendations, il will check them out.

M

muchhiker526

God is real

I am very interested in quantam physics but I am a christian. I do not see how an explosion in space could create such a world that is perfect to an atomic level. There has to be one unified creator.

Quantum Loser

Delirium, I think Muchhiker is talking about how he is interested in quantum physics but does not really believe it because he is Christian. Or something like that. :-|

D

dhom

Thomas Kuhn has done some good research on the history of physics, which is especially relevant for understanding quantum mechanics because the QM theories are so philosophical. It's so blatantly philosophical that scientists openly use the word "interpretation" to describe the differences between the theories, many of which are incompatible.

His Structure of Scientific Revolutions is a very influential book that will have some references to get you started if you're really serious about understanding how our theories got to their current state - and how we are often over-confident that we're right about them. :)