Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Punctuation and Grammar Stuff (1 Viewer)

EmmaSohan

WF Veterans
I am finally finishing my book Modern Punctuation and Grammar: Tools not Rules. It's available for one more week for free, if anyone wants to talk about any topics in it. Links are in my signature. The first link has the intro and ways to see the book.

In a way it's more about writing than what most people think of punctuation and grammar. It tries to be modern, too, I try not to have many things you can find elsewhere.

Obviously, I benefit if anyone wants to discuss or criticize or whatever . . . but I would say that about the last five years at WF. I'm not looking for a beta-reader, I'm looking for discussion, so I am listing it here.

Oh . . . my . . . God! (Mr. Mercedes, King)

Creating a grammatically acceptable sentence is sometimes a reasonable goal of punctuation and grammar (PaG). . . but it wasn't King's goal.

A very worthwhile goal of PaG is writing clearly. I will often consider that goal in this book! But that couldn't have been King's goal either – it doesn't explain the ellipses, the italics, the exclamation mark, or these three words being the entire paragraph.

King was using PaG to shape the reader's experience – he wanted the reader experiencing this moment the same way the character did. And that's one of the unrecognized goals of PaG in modern writing.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
I am finally finishing my book Modern Punctuation and Grammar: Tools not Rules. It's available for one more week for free, if anyone wants to talk about any topics in it. Links are in my signature. The first link has the intro and ways to see the book.

In a way it's more about writing than what most people think of punctuation and grammar. It tries to be modern, too, I try not to have many things you can find elsewhere.

Obviously, I benefit if anyone wants to discuss or criticize or whatever . . . but I would say that about the last five years at WF. I'm not looking for a beta-reader, I'm looking for discussion, so I am listing it here.

One typo I spotted. Search for "first tie." Should be "first time".

You have strong examples and a lot of coverage of variations on each topic. Well done.

Unless I missed it, there is a note you might include on italics. I've read that some editors don't prefer italics because they don't always stand out ... and I think that depends on the font. So they prefer bold. I've done both, and I don't prefer bold, because I think it draws the reader's eye prematurely to something I want them to discover at it's proper place and time.

EmmaSohan

WF Veterans
One typo I spotted. Search for "first tie." Should be "first time".

They meet for the first tie? I think my unconscious was trying to draw in the BDSM traffic.

I've read that some editors don't prefer italics because.

My understanding is that there are different stages of editing. We had a copy editor here at WF, and he portrayed his job as including trying to figure out an author's style and respecting that. He also said different publishers had different guidelines, down to the level of participial phrases.

So, if that portrayal is correct, and I hope it is, an editor would only correct your italics if they were not done well.

I have not seen bold used that way, except perhaps in nonfiction. Example?

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
So, if that portrayal is correct, and I hope it is, an editor would only correct your italics if they were not done well.

I have not seen bold used that way, except perhaps in nonfiction. Example?

Just something I came across in an article a few weeks ago. The author seemed quite serious about it, so I thought it worth a mention. I'm sure I've seen both in print, but I'd say italics most often.

EmmaSohan

WF Veterans
Just something I came across in an article a few weeks ago. The author seemed quite serious about it, so I thought it worth a mention. I'm sure I've seen both in print, but I'd say italics most often.

Okay, I'm officially waking up now and finally responding more coherently. I sometimes use bold in my messages, say to Quora or here. The idea is that a reader does not have time to read every message posted. Honestly, not even I think my messages are important to everyone. But if I think they might be making a bad decision, I might put a key word or phrase in bold. That presumably draws attention and allows the reader to make a better decision.

There's no convention, but none is needed. I suspect it disrupts reading. I can't imagine using bold in a fiction book. I think is says "pay attention to me", maybe even breaking the fourth wall. (Or I am being old-fashioned.)

But in a nonfiction book, the pay-attention-to-me function could be worthwhile, and I use it in my book -- some examples put the key word or phrase in bold so that the reader doesn't have to pay full attention to the whole sentence. (That didn't happen in the chapter you looked at on italics, where the key word was already in italics) But, for example, in discussing passive versus active:

1. In 1976, when my mother was still a relatively young woman, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. (Revival)
2. In 1976, when my mother was still a relatively young woman, she developed ovarian cancer.

King did the same thing in his writing on adverbs.

Thanks! This probably won't make my book, but I'll put in the "leftovers" part of my website (under construction). I had not thought about bold!

(Following the finally-waking-up theme, I fixed the link to the intro and the whole book options.)

Last edited: