Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

publishing literal schizophrenia (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunox

I want to publish something.. the thing is bit is a bit wierd. you see I want to include a certain log I have been keeping over time as part of an omnibus. I am just going to right out and say it. It's a literal over time uncensored log of my literal voices as a scitophrenic in the back of a book but with warnings up front. completely uncensored. I though kind of want to put them in a book which includes other things. i.e. a chapter about how I got started as a writer. a report on my mental illness with a portion of the log but censored and a couple other poems/songs I made over time. well that and my take on what I think a person with mental illness should know when they are first diagnosed, I am bit worried about the nature of the voices log and how they will come across. plus how they are formatted now is atrocious. So what I am asking is should I get someone to read them first? If so who? ot just random people I know that but someone that understands what they are getting into. Any thoughts?
edit: technically I wanted to do an audio book with a real voice actors and all... but I can't afford that.

Last edited:

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Make sure it's someone you can trust. Normally I would suggest paying what you can to someone in a library. But I'm that case it needs to be family. You don't want an ignorant person to know your subconscious voices. They could use it to be sadomasochistic. Only send it to someone who cares about your own well being. In my case I'd rather not think about my own auditory hallucinations. They can come back. That or it would create anxiety and more auditory hallucinations if not properly medicated. This is very private and I would have your family read it. I'm my case I don't know. I dont think it would be a good idea if I did it.

Wren9244

As someone who studies Psychology, my biggest piece of advice is to have someone go over your manuscript who actually understands your diagnosis. Someone who doesn't understand the various ways Schizophrenia can present could actually end up criticizing something they shouldn't. I commend you on your desire to publish something like this. It takes a lot of courage to be so open about these things and I really hope you end following through with this project.

kunox

yeah I still want to publish it but I am hjaving problems finding someone to format it/edit it... and to voice act it..

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Hello Wren. I agree with your post. You know these conditions as you study psychology. I agree that the person would feel vulnerable because usually the voices feed the depression. That and I am guessing I we know everything about kunox 's condition. I feel I can sense a fake voice under a lot of depression. However, in kunox's case I dont know how frequent that is and that is a psychiatrist's job. They interview the family to know if what they are thinking is real. That's why the family is the best candidate or someone who knows the diagnosis. Maybe a speech therapist would be a good candidate if they consulted with a psychiatrist who knows you. The problem is clear I know that Kunox needs to spend money to maintain himself. He does have a lot of expenses. Which makes it difficult to get the below equipment.

A less expensive solution for writing stories for occupational therapy:
I just tried co:writer two days ago with my best microphone which is expensive (it reads back what you dictate and highlights it with text to speech). I bought the microphone on my birthday (a year ago) which costs around 300 new. It costs 149 used. On editing co-writer costs less than 10 dollars per month. The problem with the microphone itself is that it can cost 150 used. I think it's a better buy that word q, and if you need something to read it back there is something that with co:writer costs 13 or less a month(Don Johnston is the name of the company). Writing with a microphone is slow. But I think it's the only way you'll edit your work. I never tried it with a very good microphone. As I said before I own the best desktop microphone which is speechmike (for accuracy). I hope you find a solution for the editing. It would take me a good while to edit your work if I volunteered. I hope someday you get one. But with a microphone it edits everything on one pass.

That said my handwriting is sloppy. I planned 3 pages full of notes all dictated. I won't start writing it just yet. I hate my ability to characterize. But I have an idea for a character. I plan to dictate it all once I have a draft. I will use the notes to write one.

I suggest free writing a bit once you plan an idea. I honestly like part of my outline and I hope I can write it soon. I will freewrite once I get a good motivation for the characters.

Writing is difficult for me and easy for others. I hope I can type the draft on the computer and not get exhausted and then dictate it.

I planned my short story using some writing exercises from a plotting book (how to improvise theater by Kenn Adams). I might share with you some notes. English and mastering it is the most important skill. You already know English. It is the disability and that is why you need a microphone in my opinion. I only think the first few exercises are important. I'll share the notes once I have some spare time. That is only if you want it. Planning a story using the exercises is tiresome.

BTW your voice is good for narrating it. I am being honest; you just need to read a bit louder. I have the volume at 100%. It's an intriguing narrative. I know you talk about the church, and this girl. It's not clear who she is but it kind of gave me a negative impression maybe by some of your word choices. You can speak normal english. That means a microphone and an inexpensive software is what you need. The voice is strong. Fate and gambling. Good job. Or fate and the church.

Good luck Kunox. I stand by my position. I like the metaphor of the game to express what is your life and the gamemaster. Life is too short. This is all true.

However, I like the audio file as mentioned. I've been listening to it.

Have you found out the price of dictating your file to someone? Medical transcriptionists can dictate your story. But I dont know how much it would cost.

In some parts the voice isn't loud enough when you reach the 16th minute mark. In the 18th part it reads a bit more low.

Last edited:

kunox

Ty... I got a headset... and audacity... I am not sure of my skill though... I did rifftrax... I will consider narrating but I want a professionals interpretation of the voices.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I am impressed with the literary voice. You thought in metaphors about your life. I am not lying that you did a good job expressing your story. This might be a memoir by the looks of it. I am thinking a literary memoir.

kunox

the youtube video is a fictional story but.... the book spoken of in this original post would be on fiction with so fictional poetry,,,

kunox

wren and glass house.. do you guys mind if I link to you the file... it's a literal log of the tigs that get said by my voices 1% of the time butttt.. I thought I'd give you fair warning first and ask permission...

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
The problem is that I wouldn't have time since I would be disorganized by doing something that would take a lot of time. I have autoexecutive dysfunction and that makes it impossible to exercise, give my mother message for her diabetic feet and do the rest of my chores.

It's a lot of work. If you can gather a group of volunteers, I will be on your volunteer list. Make sure you get a lot of volunteers due to the length of the project.

But I appreciated what you said in the audio file and I wasn't lying. Metaphors make for good narrative storytelling and you did it without messing up the audio file. A voice has a strong personality that can narrate a story with some interesting aspects using good sublime language.

My offer will be to volunteer to help get it published. Get as many people as possible that will want to help you. That way I am not burdened too much and can do the things I need to do every day.

Last edited:

kunox

I don'r want you to edit it... I just want you to see how extreme it can get... and why it needs some personality...

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
It has personality because that is present in you describing your life as a game. You describe the dungeon master or game master as controlling your life in a way. That whole metaphor can go in different directions. Your voice is your experience (what is unique and the metaphor is fresh) and it shows because you have a milder form of schizophrenia and not full blown. You narrate your life using metaphors. I agreed with wren when she said people who are aware of your diagnosis. I have the same diagnosis. I can listen to it.

Your life is like a game. Shakespeare said all life is a stage. You said you did add personality to the narrative.

Like I said I have trouble managing multiple things at the same time. I can listen to it but before that you would need to tell me if I can listen to it in less than a day.

My volunteering is for editing (which would need a list of people). I can listen to it but give me time. For every hour that goes by I will say that counts as a day. So if you have ten hours of audio give me ten days or more? Does that sound reasonable? Thanks for sharing kunox. Let me know if we reach an agreement. I believe your narrative can show you have talent. I am just worried about your english. But you can manage it according to you. You will need other people to read your work.

I humbly ask for one hour as I am working on a story myself. So imagine one hour per day that passes by to get back to you. I believe you have something unique worth saying if we go by the audio. Your problem is expressing ideas such as I myself struggle with. I can listen to it but tell me what you need feedback on? When the voice gets too low or what precisely? I hope I am not asking some obvious questions.

I will gladly listen to it under these conditions. I need time. Time is needed.

Last edited:

kunox

This particular file is 5ish pages long.. it is a literal log of the worst and funniest things my voices have said over years... you can read he 1st 3 pages and get the idea though... it's not in audio form yet.. the book video above was fiction... i will see about reading it s a file.. I will do one two 3 pages for now.. I will get back to you later..

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
Ok I will read it then. If it needs editing, I can try to give one hour of my free time for each day. I will use dictation. But remember if I need more time you need to be patient. I don't know how long it will take me if it needs to be edited. If doesn't need to be I will get back to you right away.

kunox

ty.. will send you a message.. this is just the log but it gets pretty bad... I just wanted someone to see he challenge... give me a moment...

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I don't know, it sounded like a conversation. It could be just me. Maybe I heard most of it, but I wish the voice was loud because I was at 100% max volume. I detected some metaphors. I thought you were speaking almost like an autobiography. Maybe I heard wrong. I will take a look at the file anyways. Since it is 9:35 it is late here. I almost need to take my meds and do some other chores. I will start tomorrow. I hope there isn't any problem with that. One hour a day dedicated to read it or whatever I need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.