Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Progress... (1 Viewer)

Gofa

Friends of WF
Tell your wife about her having that Nice retired fella over to help was a good idea
he is pretty handy with a battery drill and that she should keep on sleeping with him

cause he is worth it

dither

WF Veterans
PLIERS: I need a pair of pliers now.

Jeez, what a palaver, just to do a make-up job on a garden fence, but I hate waste. These fence panels are just your ordinary run-of-mill Larch-lap and with a fresh lick of wood-preservative they look okay. It's just around the edges of what are very weak frames, the odd screw here and there might make all the difference. When they do start to fall apart, as of course they will, then I shall replace them, it isn't a problem. This is opening up a whole new world for me, I just don't like throwing away things that are usable, it's an age-thing.

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
If you jump up and down on them they make good kindling :)

If the posts are okay a new larch lap panel is about £20 - £25, half a dozen good nails and a hammer to put it up, say £30 - £35, how much was the drill and stuff?

Sorry.

dither

WF Veterans
If you jump up and down on them they make good kindling :)

If the posts are okay a new larch lap panel is about £20 - £25, half a dozen good nails and a hammer to put it up, say £30 - £35, how much was the drill and stuff?

Sorry.

The panels are supported by concrete posts with narrow grooves on either side that panels slot into. Because of an old tree-stump one of the posts has started lean creating a situation where the top of one panel isn't slotting into the post, there's a two inch gap, the panels are not tall, four feet I think, with trellis on top. Anyway, I screwed two small batons to the fence holding a two inch wooden block in that gap fastened to the panel and,fingers crossed, it seems to be holding. I thought they cost more than that but again, cost isn't an issue, and now, playing around out there with my newly acquired array of implements gives me something to think about.

I had to deal with that panel that doesn't slot in, would love to have paid someone to do it but there is no-one hence the investment in diy tools.

As for panels being cheap and making good kindling, they also come from trees. :neutral:

Have just been reckoning up what I've spent in order to support a cheap £25 fence panel.
Drill-driver.
An assortment of drill-driver-bits.
A couple of metres of treated timber that I hardly touched.
An assortment of screws.
Two tubes of sealer/adhesive and applicator gun.

And all because I can't get someone to do a simple repair-job.:dejection:

Last edited: