Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Progress... (1 Viewer)

dither

WF Veterans
Sunday morning and the wind is still quite strong out there, I intend to go and get my stuff tomorrow if it's not too cold. I really do need to do this if only for me.

Last edited:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Hate to say this, but I have dealt with many fences and never used a screw or screwdriver. Hammer and nails mate.

Gofa

Friends of WF
Dont listen to Mr Buckle he is tempting you to the old ways
real men give fences a good screwing
its just violence to consider hitting wood with a hammer

have you bought the wood that goes across
have you bought the up and down palings

Mr Buckle notice how i differentiate for the fencing novices amongst us

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
There was a builder's merchant that I used where the guy thought we were just being common and always called arris rails "Harris rails".

Screws rust, get galvanised nails.

dither

WF Veterans
I should have stayed in bed this morning:

I caught the bus out of town, that was six quid gone, before I started purchasing materials.
Went to the building supplies store.
Bought two narrow strips of wood that are too thick, a tube of adhesive/weatherproof sealant not realising that it has to be loaded into an applicator and one of the passengers on my bus home wasn't wearing a mask.

On the plus side, the screws are okay.

Life eh?

ARGHHHH!!!! ](*,)

Last edited:

dither

WF Veterans
Wood is too thick huh
check them
two saw cuts and a chisel

Lol! And wooden slats aren't long enough but, that's not an issue, I can work with that. Gofa, I bought a drill and bit-set that I shall probably only ever use once, and even now, I'd gladly pay someone more than the job is worth to do it for me. Why would I and chisels to the mountain of clutter that is my home?

dither

WF Veterans
I should have stayed in bed this morning:

I caught the bus out of town, that was six quid gone, before I started purchasing materials.
Went to the building supplies store.
Bought two narrow strips of wood that are too thick, a tube of adhesive/weatherproof sealant not realising that it has to be loaded into an applicator and one of the passengers on my bus home wasn't wearing a mask.

On the plus side, the screws are okay.

Life eh?

ARGHHHH!!!! ](*,)

What I neglected to mention when I posted this yesterday was my shopping experience at the building supplies . When I approached the checkout area it was so well cordoned off that I couldn't actually GET to the checkout, a young store assistant eventually came and rearranged the barrier to let me through. At the checkout I found a heavily tattooed amoeba purporting to be a female of the human-kind slouching on a chair. She, I have decided to give [ her ] the benefit of the doubt, looked up as I put my items on the benched in front where she sat, no face-coverings no courtesy and no manners. She scanned the small items but holding one of the slats vertically in front of her was unable to see or scan the bar code stuck to the end of it, it was too tall, she sprawled and writhed almost rendering herself horizontal, on such a small seat as well, " just push the bottom of the slat away from you " my mind screamed, an act that would of course made the label easily accessible, no way was she going to leave her seated position, mission finally accomplished I thanked her and exited the store.

I HAVE to admit that I envied her her stout shoulders and biceps, inkings aside, young and burly, just like the dirt-bag who boarded my bus without a face-covering. Problem mister? [ As in have you GOT a problem or are you looking for one? ] Nooo. :concern:

I really SHOULD ......... have stayed in bed.

ps, I think I think I should have got more adhesive/sealant, I still need to get an applicator gun, and I really don't want a repeat of yesterday. Shall let it ride for now.

Last edited:

dither

WF Veterans
You're never going to believe this:

I don't know when I last logged into WF. Seven or eight days ago? Having just had my computer fixed, then I lost my internet, a pop-up said something about wanting more information and instructed me to open my browser, as if I had any idea how to do such a thing, that really was the " knockout blow, and so, sponge and towel thrown squarely into the ring, I called it a day. I would, when I could be bothered, dis-assemble my desktop with an angle-grinder and that would be that.

Then, a few minutes ago, don't know why, just for the hell of it, I switched on, now here I am and wondering what the hell is going on.

dither

WF Veterans
After I don't know how many trips to building supplies and DIY stores I finally made preparations to have a go at my rogue fence-panel, I'm waiting for the adhesive to dry on something that I put together yesterday before I make my attempt at repairing the panel.

I sawed just a few pieces of wood, admitting that I wasn't on the firmest of footings, and the next morning, carrying on through to today, My back aches like I cannot believe. Bugger being old.

Last edited:

dither

WF Veterans
I finally took my new drill out of it's cellophane wrapper yesterday, had to google how to put the drill-bit in :oops: , but I GOT there. Battery all charged and I'm good to go. Well, sort of. Have cut and glued two pieces of wood to create a kind of extension to my nuisance panel. Have just stained them, am waiting for the stain to dry before applying a second coat, and we shall see.