Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Progress... (1 Viewer)

dither

WF Veterans
It's a bitch, please excuse my language, but to say that I'm angry right now doesn't come close to how I'm feeling.
I'm being forced into doing something that I don't think I've ever so much as contemplated, D.I.Y.
He who doesn't know how to change a plug. It's just not me, I'm sorry.
And because I don't know how to find or trust a repair-man to fix a section of my garden fence I've decided to attempt it myself.
Can, well, I thought could, buy all the tools and equipment, save a fortune in the process, much cheaper than a rogue-trader and the job might even get done, so early this morning, I set off, caught a bus out of town and went to my nearest Argos store to tool-up.
It's been a long time since I last visited that store and things have changed. I walked in and looked around for the a catalogues spread out on tables along with the order-slips, you know those things that were made up of actual pieces paper stuck together like a book, containing listings of prices and products sold by Argos stores. There were none.
At this point an android approached and politely explained that it was all done with touch screens now and if I'd like to.............. I didn't catch the the rest of of it's programme, I don't know if they're able to take in a verbal response before a pre-recorded message has been delivered but I responded with " can't do that, sorry, " and left.
Got home and decided that I'd go to the Argos and do the business there, you can even have it delivered.
You have to be an account holder to buy online, I won't do that because I don't like being dictated to and fear of internet fraud.
Here I am, wanting to buy stuff, spend money in my poor beleaguered High Street, and I can't.
The brand of tools that I wanted seem to be only available at Argos and e-bay, they're cheapos.
I need to be in the mood to go trawling for goods and so for now it'll have to wait.

Life eh?

dither

WF Veterans
Use multi function Drill/screw driver and two inch circular saw As attachments? Build things ??? :shock:

ME?

The only reason I'm considering such an enterprise is that I can't find someone who will do a proper job.

My wife says she'll go parlez with the Argos androids sometime this week and maybe get the things that I need.

PS,
Simple I can do but I just can't ask.

Also, if I get the tools and do the job, the equipment may never see the light of day again. Why waste my money on quality equipment?

Gofa

Friends of WF
You are talking to the wrong guy
i love buying tools
its a bonus if i actually use them
these battery drills and multi use clip ons are very cool

my wife gets this Accountant guy over to do stuff
damn he is pretty good
he never charges
i know she sleeps with him

dither

WF Veterans
The wife phoned earlier to say that she'd been to Argos, bought and paid for the tools that I wanted, they would be delivered sometime this afternoon, and that she would not be going to Argos again.
I really would rather go to a shop for my needs but Argos is a definite no'no now. The last time I went to my nearest B+Q I was driven away by one flustered and probably over-worked under-paid checkout woman who told me repeatedly to go to the self-service checkout, I put the goods back on the shelves and left. There is another B+Q store in the town where I used to work some eight or nine miles away, they didn't have self-service the last time I went as a result of being turned away at the other one, and I don't mind going there, despite the cost of bus-fare, but that place is a Covid hot-spot right now.

The High Street shops don't want to serve us and yet they complain that people are increasingly turning to online shopping. It's a hopeless situation.

dither

WF Veterans
I have my drill and the battery is fully charged, shame about [my] battery.:jaded:

Now I need to go shopping for wood and screws.

dither

WF Veterans
In my dreams Rose.
No wait, that's not a dream it's a nightmare.

We have a building supplies store on the edge of town, should be good for screws, [ lol! that made me smile :D, don't ask, ] not sure about the wood though. I don't even know if the drill works, can't even be bothered to do that. I know have to go and check out that store sometime but, but, but, but, living with me must be absolute hell, maybe I'll have a walk out later.

dither

WF Veterans
I'm dithering, unsure how approach the job of patching up my fence. :indecisiveness:
Could just go and have look around the store for inspiration I suppose.

Gofa

Friends of WF
It should end up with a good screwing
looking fiercely at the fence for some days can help
there also is the Daniel Boone approach of grinning it down

fencing is all about across bits having vertical bits screwed to them

i would love to see a before pic

dither

WF Veterans
Gofa,
I would LOVE to show a before pic because I'm stumped and y'know what?
The only screwing involved maybe my having screwed myself.
I bought myself a drill driver, good thing it was a cheapo, and if I can get what I think would do the job, if such a thing exists, there will be no need for drilling or screwing.
We shall see.

River Rose

It should end up with a good screwing
looking fiercely at the fence for some days can help
there also is the Daniel Boone approach of grinning it down

fencing is all about across bits having vertical bits screwed to them

i would love to see a before pic

We should all end up with good screwing.
#jumpmyfenceanytime.

Gofa

Friends of WF
Argil Jersey
thats a woolly jumper isnt it

as to the tape you just borrow one at the store like you are buying it
and drop it back before you leave

OP’s brand does not just apply to cigarettes

dither

WF Veterans
Well, I went looking for inspiration, preferably something that involves finding some place to bury my drill-driver and forgetting about . I came home with a few ideas but it's difficult to put into words, if only I'd got a camera, never mind. Today I went out of town, tomorrow, hopefully, I shall go to the store on the edge of my the town where I live with those ideas. Might end up going back to the out of town store, will see what happens tomorrow.

dither

WF Veterans
I was just about to edit that post.

SHOULD HAVE PUT, " Wouldn't THAT be something?"

MLK?