Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Priorities (1 Viewer)

2020Syd2020

Hello,

This is a stark and emotive piece that deals with a big subject manner in a measured way. There are some truly on point images, “like prisoners thirsty for a good woman,” in particular stands out as a bold and engaging manner.

What I don’t think works is that I feel at times you objectify the boy, by that I mean turn him in to nothing more than a symbol, a motif when I think you would do better to humanise him further, give us a feeling and a sense of a person a real person at that, rather than a poetic device utilised because that’s the purpose of your piece.

You give Mrs Smith a name, a generic one yes, but still a name. Do you see my problem?

Anyway, I do have to say I enjoyed this piece and look forward to seeing it develop.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Syd