Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Pre-Nano (1 Viewer)

speculative

So, what are your plans for October? Outlines, character sketches, maps, drawings, nibbling the erasers off of pencils ahead of time :eek: etc.

Any tips? Mine would be to have plenty of snacks/refreshments at hand, make sure your computer is running 100%, and have any other supplies (such as pens, paper, etc.) in advance.

Also, get Cold-Eeze tablets - they minimize the severity of a cold. You don't want to be out of commission in November.

midlandsmuse

I've got a general idea of what I'm writing about and how to fit it into my day to day life. Other than that I'm not doing too much pre-preperation. I want to see if I can do the lot in 31 days.

My idea is also completely unfinished in that I don't know where it will go or how it will end. I'm hoping that just comes to me as I'm writing it.

Crazy_dude6662

im the same as midlandsmuse. if only i could leave school for the month :( this is going to take some carful not paying attention in class to get this done!

midlandsmuse

Crazy_dude6662 said:
im the same as midlandsmuse. if only i could leave school for the month :( this is going to take some carful not paying attention in class to get this done!

Break it down. It's essentially 1,700 per day for 31 days. I'm aiming for 2,000 per day so I have cover.

Pendulum

I have the basic idea in my head. Other than that I have no idea what I'm doing. While we're on the topic, where do I sign up on the site?

Chrispian

Patron
I've got my main character and a couple of other characters in my head. I also have a basic first scene in my head and I know where I want it to end. This month I plan on fleshing out the supporting cast (some of which are starting to speak to me already) and do a loose outline to give me some targets to hit.

Selorian

Patron
midlandmuse said:
I want to see if I can do the lot in 31 days.

You might want to do it in 30 days. Mostly because November only has 30. :p

Sorry, couldn't resist.

As for planning, there's two story ideas at the forefront in the running for the chosen one. The first is the smallest of ideas from a title generator with a very faint idea of the story. The other is one I've been working on in my head for nearly half a year. The first is horror and the other a thriller/action/sci-fi hybrid. I'm anxious to see which one captures my imagination enough to push me through the month of insanity.

Penelope

I don't know what I'm going to write about. I don't do outlines of plots or establish characters. When the time comes, it will either be there or it won't.

[ot:d8e8208cd1]why are you still in dubllin - crazy dude? Too many doubles at Temple Bar?*[/ot:d8e8208cd1]

Achilles

I'm thinking up my story right now...I plan to have to setting, characters, and at least a thesis by mid October. The last half of the month I'm going to make a very detailed plot outline. Basically every single scene and what happens/is discussed in it. When November hits I'll know exactly where I'm going; it will just be a matter of filling in the blanks.

I'm going to shoot for about 1700 words a day for the first few weeks. Thanksgiving week I'm going to try increasing to 3-4 thousand a day. (We don't have any family visiting, so I get a whole week free.) That should give me some cusion in case I didn't meet the 1700 or I get stuck later.

Hodge

pliable
I have the plot all down pat, my characters are mostly finished, and my outline is almost done.

Crazy_dude6662

Penelope said:
[ot:12237d8514] why are you still in dubllin - crazy dude? Too many doubles at Temple Bar?*[/ot:12237d8514]

[ot:12237d8514] if your serious, i'd say it would have somthing to do with my parets not wanting there 15 yr old son moving away[/ot:12237d8514]

damien_frosst

I try to prepare as little as possible before NaNo, so that my story is as absolutely unhinged as possible. It's just easier for me that way.

There's two ideas running in my head for Nov. 1. The first is a diary of a madman sort of thing, and the other is more of a mildly gothic horror/detective story (well, series of short fictions). Either will be good enough for NaNo, and both have potential to be developed after the fact.

Crazy_dude6662

damien_frosst said:
The first is a diary of a madman sort of thing,

that sounds good, in the adrian mole books (i think) he said "i wonder if jack the rippers wife wrote in her diary

8 o' clock,

jack still not home yet wonder where he is.

12 o clock

jack finally home, he's covered in blood, he got run over by a cart."

thats approxomatly what he said.

Penelope

Crazy_dude6662 said:
Penelope said:
[ot:a722ef1ca4] why are you still in dubllin - crazy dude? Too many doubles at Temple Bar?*[/ot:a722ef1ca4]

[ot:a722ef1ca4] if your serious, i'd say it would have somthing to do with my parets not wanting there 15 yr old son moving away[/ot:a722ef1ca4]

[ot:a722ef1ca4]hmmm ... dublin has one 'l' not two although it may have two in Gaelic[/ot:a722ef1ca4]

Crazy_dude6662

what are you on about penolope???? are you drunk or somthin? :shock: seening doubles!! :shock: :p :p :wink: :drunk:

(please dont get me banned :pale: )

Achilles

As of now, my story's about an encypted document that is the "answer key" to the pyramids. For the sake of the story, the pyramids are time capsules put there by an ancient race intended as "brain-teasers" or puzzles if you will. It's actually a common theory...

The story is intended to be a archeaological page-turner...don't know much more than that. And it could change.

Penelope

Crazy_dude6662 said:
what are you on about penolope???? are you drunk or somthin? :shock: seening doubles!! :shock: :p :p :wink: :drunk:

(please dont get me banned :pale: )

[ot:fe6317f7f8]You finally rectified your double 'l' in dublin .. thank you.[/ot:fe6317f7f8]