Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Potential copyright issues due to early drafts? (1 Viewer)

SerenataImmortale

Okay, confession time.
When I was young and naive I used to write... *sigh*... fanfiction.
I won't join in on the fanfiction debate, but I will admit that I am not exactly proud of what I wrote back at that age.
Long story short, the novel I'm working on now started out in its earliest forms as a fanfiction that I put online for about a month when I was fourteen before I took it down. I am now almost twenty, and the story lost any connections to the work it was based off of, and over many, many, drafts, it has morphed into something entirely different and unrelated.
But I can't deny where it came from.
What will this mean when the time comes to publish it? Legally, will I have to acknowledge that this was once an online fanfiction, or can my earliest and more embarrassing draft go unsaid?

Nemesis

The Black Goat
WF Veterans
I would think if all of the character currently in it are your own creations then there wouldn't be a problem. Even if fanfiction was your original inspiration and base.

B

Baron

If it's lost all connection with the original why should you mention it?

Potty

WF Veterans
Most stories these days could be classed as fan fiction... even if you didn't "realise" you were a fan; Take Suzanne Collins for example.

Did I bring that up again? Yes, yes I think I did.

So I wouldn't worry too much, as mentioned above, if it's pretty much you own work there isn't much point mentioning it... and even if someone does spot the connection just deny all knowledge... like Suzanne Collins.

B

Baron

Most stories these days could be classed as fan fiction... even if you didn't "realise" you were a fan; Take Suzanne Collins for example.

Did I bring that up again? Yes, yes I think I did.

So I wouldn't worry too much, as mentioned above, if it's pretty much you own work there isn't much point mentioning it... and even if someone does spot the connection just deny all knowledge... like Suzanne Collins.
Not mine, mate ;)

Nemesis

The Black Goat
WF Veterans
ohhh burn lol did the notifications get turned off again potty? or did you grow a pair ^^ (I tease, I tease)

B

Baron

I haven't read it yet, but with a name like "Star War factor" I'm not holding my breath :loyal:

You're looking at the wrong "Star Wars", it has nothing to do with James T. Kirk, Picard and co. The idea starts with Ronald Reagan's schemes. Even James Cameron nicked some of my ideas but I won't tell you more because it would give too much away. ;)

Nemesis

The Black Goat
WF Veterans
He has a point Baron, are you thinking of Star Trek? Star wars has lightsabers and jedi knights and ewoks

Nemesis

The Black Goat
WF Veterans
^^ I don't, you seem like the sneaky smart type, you could have done that on purpose just to prove your point *eyes you wearily*

Nemesis

The Black Goat
WF Veterans
Wearily or warily? There's a difference, you know.

A little of both apply, but to be honest I did mean warily. Bad fingers -_- I often do that write there when I mean to write their, or quite when I meant quiet, right when I meant write lol

Anyways glad you8 feel better and good luck boldly going where no man has gone before! ;)

Cefor

WF Veterans
Look at the success that abomination Fifty Shades of Grey is having... that used to be Twilight fanfiction. It's not now... but people know about it. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is not really my place to guess. Oops, did I say abomination? I meant 'that risqué novel'.

If it's not visibly fanfiction (no mention of trademarked names, etc) then you'll be fine :)

Nemesis

The Black Goat
WF Veterans
Oh gawd.... my sons babysitter was going on and on about how amazing it was and how unique the characters were and I wanted to hit something. Really? You think a super rich, melancholy man with a perfect body who sulks until he meets his "perfect women" who leads a perfectly normal life until she meets him is original?! REALLY?!

B

Baron

A little of both apply, but to be honest I did mean warily. Bad fingers -_- I often do that write there when I mean to write their, or quite when I meant quiet, right when I meant write lol

Anyways glad you8 feel better and good luck boldly going where no man has gone before! ;)
There are some of the first drafts on the Tavern Fiction Critique forum, check them out.

*unabashed plug*

Bloggsworth

WF Veterans
The original story and characters were your copyright and remain your copyright unless you assigned copyright to the website it was originally published on. Does the website still exist? If it does, check their terms and conditions and see if publishing it on the site automatically assigns them the copyright, unlikely, but check. It may have reserved the right to publish it, on that site, for a year or in perpetuity, the latter is what WritersHub ask you to agree to, I won't, so they see nothing from me - Though that doesn't mean you cannot publish it elsewhere, it just means that they can publish it continuously, or once a month/year/decade, but they don't own the copyright, they only have a right to publish. If the site has disappeared into electronic dust, then I would suggest that the rights would automatically revert to you anyway. Either way, if in essence the story is different but only the characters remain the same, I doubt you have anything to worry about anyway.