Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Posting in 'Fiction Workshop' or 'Speculative Fiction'? Does it matter? (1 Viewer)

Fiender

I've noticed there are plenty of sci-fi and fantasy excerpts posted in the main page of the fiction workshop. Heck, I posted a handful of things in the fiction workshop because I forget the speculative subforum exists...
I haven't gotten any angry pm's about this, and I haven't noticed any threads getting moved into speculative. I was just wondering what the proper etiquette is.

bdcharles

Wɾ¡ʇ¡∩9
Staff member
Media Manager
Despite being in the genre, I often post in the top level, simply for visibility. I am never too sure how people scan the forum for new posts and that SF&F one seems to be a bit hidden so...

EternalGreen

I post some of my speculative fiction in the main workshop and some of it in the side workshop. I think this is the intended usage to prevent the main workshop from being completely overwhelmed with speculative fiction.

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
It's a good question. I've often wondered myself about the purpose.
What do you suggest we do? Merge everything into the main Fiction forum? I don't mind :)

Tiamat

Patron
I've been wondering the same thing for awhile. I feel like the spec fic sub forum gets ignored (and I feel that way because I tend to ignore it/not notice when something new has been posted there). My suggestion would be to merge the two. Given the low frequency that spec fic writers (myself included) post in the designated forum, I doubt we'll suddenly see the main workshop become unduly inundated with speculative fiction.