Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Post Your Useful Writing Videos Here (1 Viewer)

thepancreas11

New Writers' Mentor
This is more about screenplay writing than about novel writing, but I think so many of the lessons apply. I watch this channel pretty religiously. I've gotten so much out of it when it comes to story structure, character development, even what books to read on writing. Their latest video on "Soul" was extraordinary, made me see the movie in a whole new light and also made me go back and revise my most recent short story.

Lessons from the Screenplay

TheMightyAz

This is more about screenplay writing than about novel writing, but I think so many of the lessons apply. I watch this channel pretty religiously. I've gotten so much out of it when it comes to story structure, character development, even what books to read on writing. Their latest video on "Soul" was extraordinary, made me see the movie in a whole new light and also made me go back and revise my most recent short story.

How do you make that link? I keep meaning to ask. I used to know how to do it many years ago but I've forgotten, and chances are the method has changed.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans

It's perfectly valid advice. That is his recommended books. I don't think I am one of the audiences for it. I bought all of them except the screenwriting exercises book years ago. I am considering buying this book since it seems to be what I am interested in. I think writing is playing with language. It is looking for connections. I think the book I will mention let's you be creative with language. I plan on getting the screenwriting exercises book. I liked the video, but I wish I had the idea of concept versus need in my head. I've heard the advice before. I know I am part dyslexic. It makes it more difficult to understand if what I am reading I understand correctly.

Although this isn't a video it is a book on the lists off creative writing programs with exercises. Some think it is a poetry book. But it's playing with language.

One example where language can become interesting is the example it gives on an expression.

For example:
death of an author
becomes author of death. (an example taken from the book of as small excerpt)(I plan to by it on paperback since kindle exporting is a problem)

That one idea could make you imagine things. I confess I dont have the book. I have a huge collection. I rely on recommendations. I bought a lot of books without knowing whether I was the right audience.

The Writing Experiment: Strategies for innovative creative writing

I will still try out that new book that came out recently. Since it might have an exercise for want versus need. I did see the video and liked what I saw of movie theory. But I can't seem to internalize the important concept. It's all an opinion. I do think different things work for different people.

thepancreas11

New Writers' Mentor
How do you make that link? I keep meaning to ask. I used to know how to do it many years ago but I've forgotten, and chances are the method has changed.

I write the word or phrase that I want to be the link, then I highlight it and click the link button (it's the globe with a chain icon on the bar after the text size, color, and emoji buttons!).

TheMightyAz

My biggest takeaway from this is 'dialogue is not conversation'. It's kind of obvious in a way but it's nice to have a simple little statement of that stickied to your writer's mind.

TheMightyAz

This is excellent and shows me just how much further I have to go. This is the sort of nuts and bolts stuff I love:

Selorian

Patron
Although it is a video fixing the plot of a video game, it does offer value on plotting a believable story and how to fix a broken one.

Users who are viewing this thread