Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Popular Page Length (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 65820

I plan on keeping my books short (200-400 pages), and was wondering if more people read short books rather than long ones. Is there a definitive answer? I know that name and award recognition influences what most people read. What's the case for books from lesser-known authors?

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
The number of pages is dependent on formatting; word count might be a better indicator.
Front and back matter will take up a few pages too.
Regarding lesser-known authors, I don't think it matters much these days.

I suggest that you look for comparable titles on Amazon, and use that as a reference.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
I don't choose a book based on its length. But I prefer longer books or series. Once I get invested in the characters, I don't want it to end. My preference is at least 500 pages. However, generally speaking, it appears that books are getting shorter. So you may be on the right track. Novellas are also becoming more popular.

If you are planning on going the traditional route for publishing, there are some standards depending on genre. For example, 50,000 - 70,000 words are acceptable for a cozy mystery, but for a corporate thriller, it leans more to 80,000 - 100,000 words. And they advise going on the shorter end of the scale for a first-time published author.

Last edited:

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Indianroads and Taylor gave excellent responses, so I'm going to address the last thing you posted. Don't worry about being a "lesser-known author". We all are. :) Write the best story you can and use all the space it takes to tell it. You want a page-turner your reader enjoys from first to last. That's the thing to concentrate on. If you go too long, someone will clue you in on excess backstory and exposition. Then you experience the joys of revision. ;-)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
As vranger said, don't worry about being 'lesser known'. Self publishing is growing by leaps and bounds, 'unknowns' far outnumber the fancy-pants authors out there, and really it's no indication of quality.
Try doing an online search for 'standard novel length by genre', then shoot for that length when you write.
Overly long books can put me off - Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged is 1,200 pages, and I struggled to get through it because she tended meander and overstate her points.

I plan on keeping my books short (200-400 pages), and was wondering if more people read short books rather than long ones. Is there a definitive answer? I know that name and award recognition influences what most people read. What's the case for books from lesser-known authors?
Hello!

I prefer short books to long ones, I think. Maybe a part of it is that a long book takes up more of your time so if it doesn't quite work for you then you feel even more disappointed.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
It's rare when a long book works. I read somewhere that someone that had read Anna Karina enjoyed it more than others because of the character being more complex. That is over 800 pages. I agree with the person that said to aim for something a bit shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.