Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Poets fish the Night's Oceans: (1 Viewer)

dannyboy

Friends of WF
It is a difficult hunt in waters
filled with the eternally unseen
afterimages of things imagined
sensory echoes of experiences
bittersweet scent of dreams.

The water is deep
heavily salted with tears
forces anglers time
and time again back to the surface.

The plunge brings a proximity to death
the other side of life’s coin.

it risks forgetfulness and idle hours
staring into the currents words leave behind.

Old friends float
other anglers greet
some hold up catches that can fade
or appear larger in the light.

These fish cannot sate
drive the fishers to try again and again
an addiction
to hunt the ripples, the after-taste, the hope.

The quest for what cannot be complete
for what cannot ever be brought
truly to the surface whole
but in parts
scales that reflect sunlight
and hold a darkness within.

So cold now
and so warm fishing all these years
they stretch out behind
like the drying bones of leviathans
perpetually now at rest
on the edge of night’s tilted shores.

Last edited:

Gumby

Staff member
Co-Owner
I love the analogy, or is it a conceit? All these years holding a 'virtual pen' I never imagined it was a fishing pole. :) That's great!

This:

These fish cannot sate
drive the fishers to try again and again
an addiction
to hunt the ripples, the after-taste, the hope.

You've really nailed it. An addiction that we can never completely satisfy, only momentarily, then we are back on the water fishing for that next 'big one'. And the ending is perfectly fitting. They do stretch out behind us. Very clever.

they stretch out behind
like the drying bones of leviathans
perpetually now at rest
on the edge of night’s tilted shores.

dannyboy

Friends of WF
Thank you both, I must point to Rilke's comment – "We are the bees of the invisible. We wildly collect the honey of the visible, to store it in the great golden hive of the invisible” as the inspiration.

happy-hippie

Yeah, this one is really deep. I especially love the first stanza-it makes you want to keep reading. It's a wonderfully expressive poem with great imagery (I resisted the urge to analyze each and every line :eek:)

ritudimrinautiyal

The poet fishes the night's ocean.
Danny I am finding no words for it. Every line is so much self explaining,..... all lines are amazing individually, yet so connected to one another.

Thanks for sharing it here.

Ritu