Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Poetry Reading Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Achilles

I'm going to the library to get some books. There's a surprise.

Planning on picking up a poetry anthology and reading it cover to cover. The question is, what poet? Sadly, I am not well versed in the literary works of some of the most notable poets--excepting Shakespeare and Robert Frost--but I plan to learn more. I'm asking for suggestions for whom to study. I want classics, not modern poetry. Who are your favorites?

Kikster

baudelaire... very intense and sometimes disturbing, but I think his poems are great.

also, I really like prevert. he has a very peculiar style, and some incredibly vivid takes on life and love. I've never read english translations of his poems, so hopefully you won't be disappointed in the translation....

Achilles

Hmm... I'll check those out.

I was thinking more along the lines of Dickinson, Yeats, Milton, etc. You know, the ones that everybody has read but me. Any other comments?

I

Ilan Bouchard

Rainer Maria Rilke.

Not one of those "everyone has read," but definitely worth reading.

Achilles

I say I'm going to the library to pick up one book. Yeah, right. Assuredly, I'll be coming home with a stack up to my eyeballs because I can't decide.

Kikster

hehehe I know that feeling.

when I go to the bookstore to "buy one book" I usually end up spending more than $100....

Achilles

Rainer Maria Rilke.
I don't mean to be aggressive or anything, but what can be gained from reading translated works? Especially reading sonnets and such--where the meter and rhyme has no bearing. In my opinion, translations never do a work justice...

ruksak

The_Revisionist said:
Bukowski is the ticket.

I'm with this one - far from conventional, but superb. Any of his will do, but if you can find it start with 'Love is a dog from hell.' Irresistable title in my opinion.

Poe Clock

Oh, come on, 14 replies and no mention of Poe? ;P

Seriously. If you're looking for classic poetry, Poe is my all-time favourite. Also agreeing with Kikster that you should check out Baudelaire and Dante.

TinyMachines

Bukowski is modern, and they said they didn't want modern. Otherwise I would suggest Bukowski too.
If you are looking for classics I would go with Dorothy Wordsworth or William Wordsworth. Both are the best of their gender in the romantic poets. (my opinion. no offense to the tennyson and keats fans who said something)

Last edited: