Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Plot (kind of) Idea (1 Viewer)

Elsey2

So, I was in Salem, MA with my husband and we noticed blue lights on some of the houses sparingly around town. We didn't know what they were but a sign in the town gave a website on how to find out what they meant.
Anyway, this sparked an idea for a story for me. I want it to revolve around someone moving to a new town and there's this mystery or mystique about the lights on these houses. I like to write in the thriller/horror genre. I'm just having trouble coming up with what I want those lights to represent (something sinister, supernatural, a secret society - these have all crossed my mind). Does anyone have any ideas is input? I cannot decide what direction I want to go in and I really would like to continue on with the story. Figured it wouldn't hurt to post on here!

NajaNoir

So, I did a quick search, (didn’t know which town) and it says that blue lights represent autism awareness. And in other places they represent support for police. Neither of which sound like the makings of a spooky story.

But, blue hues can also represent spirits that are sorta, just hanging around. Usually benevolent in nature.
Maybe think along those lines. Really, really, far-fetched, but here’s my idea.

Maybe the blue lights represent spirits that are trapped inside the light lamps and not allowed to move on. The sinister townsfolk needs them, for whatever reason: to feed off of them, for vengeance etc… I haven’t the foggiest idea though, as to how electrical currents work, let alone trying to explain how they keep ghosts trapped.

I have, however, thought of and began a story, not about ghosts, but about certain types of lights zapping us of our energy. Oh the conspiracy!

Elsey2

So, I did a quick search, (didn’t know which town) and it says that blue lights represent autism awareness. And in other places they represent support for police. Neither of which sound like the makings of a spooky story.

But, blue hues can also represent spirits that are sorta, just hanging around. Usually benevolent in nature.
Maybe think along those lines. Really, really, far-fetched, but here’s my idea.

Maybe the blue lights represent spirits that are trapped inside the light lamps and not allowed to move on. The sinister townsfolk needs them, for whatever reason: to feed off of them, for vengeance etc… I haven’t the foggiest idea though, as to how electrical currents work, let alone trying to explain how they keep ghosts trapped.

I have, however, thought of and began a story, not about ghosts, but about certain types of lights zapping us of our energy. Oh the conspiracy!

That is a really cool idea! I like it a lot! Thanks for replying :)

indianroads

Staff member
Global Moderator
Someone moving into a small town would be an outsider, as such, they wouldn't be trusted. You could wrap this into a horror story about a cult, or a sciFi tale of government experimentation gone wrong - or possibly an ancient artifact that plays a role in how the people function.

It's a somewhat common plot line, so you'll have to color outside the lines to make it work.

sunaynaprasad

WF Veterans
I can relate. I, too, am struggling with a fully-fleshed plot for my current WIP. If you need some time to think, then don't be afraid to try it. Or, if you're a plotter, you can try being a pantser. I just did that recently, and it helped me.
Also, your plot idea does sound interesting. I hope you come up with extra details that are exciting at some point.