Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Philosophy of Tom Wolfe (1 Viewer)

patthager

I was reading the intro to The Bonfire of Vanities, inwhich Wolfe states that the cacophony of new writing genres that sprung up in the 1900s were cool, but were bullcrap compared to nonfiction.
He makes a few good points, and I think that it is a pretty good opinion, but nonfiction is much too limited to be an uber literary form. Almost everything I write (begin to write) is some kind of fantasy/sci-fi. It gives me the freedom to chop and screw real world themes. That ability is what makes superman and warhammer literature ring so much more true then most of Wolfes works

Mike C

WF Veterans
patthager said:
I That ability is what makes superman and warhammer literature ring so much more true then most of Wolfes works

Superman and warhammer ring so much more true than Wolfe...

Oh, how sad. How very, very sad.

HarryG

Tom Wolfe´s Bonfire of the Vanities is one of the best American books of our lifetime. I´m sorry, but to even mention it in the same breath as the total crap you are quoting is akin to sacrilege, as well as being just plain stupid.

I do, however realise that you are probably jesting and on that level, it´s really funny.

If you are not (jesting), then it's time to adjust your medicine.

patthager

YEAH?! you think anybodies going to be reading Wolfe after WW3? I think NOT! He is a fad. His work is only valid as long as society and topography stays the same. Warhammer & Superman will ring true as long as America exists.

Mike C

WF Veterans
Wolfe's books are social history.

Warhammer books are spin-off marketing from a toyshop for wargamers.