Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Philip Pullman (1 Viewer)

Khay

I'm sure a bunch of others have read Philip Pullman's material. I think it's brilliant and have read both 'His Dark Material's and 'The Sally Lockhart Series'.

Mira

Yes, I do love Philip Pullman. Read "His Dark Materials" way back, but haven't read anything else by him. Was the Sally Lockhart series any good?

Khay

Yeah, I personally really enjoyed it. It may get a bit slow at times, but it's always followed by action and such.

RedKnight

I've read up on His Dark Materials recently, and while it sounds interesting, the overt and brutal anti-Christian slant really weighs heavily on what sounds like a good idea, IMHO. Although I am Christian, I have no problem -- and I mean, none -- with books that promote an atheist/agnostic/whatever worldview. While I may (quietly) disagree, I do believe that every writer must write what he conceives to be true. Still, I think Pullmann went a bit far there. Even if he really feels that strongly, I think he should have been a shade more subtle or chossen a setting other than fantasy to air his grievance. To his credit, he admitted as much in recent interviews.

I haven't heard much about his other works, though. Any good?

Last edited:

Lyonidus

I loved "his dark materials" They were a really enjoying read. I havent read any of his other stuff though, but i think he only writes very young childrens stuff but im not sure, ill have to look further into it i guess.

S

Sinnie

The HDM series defintley ranks in my top few books/series.

In the film of the first book (to be released soon this year) the really toned down the anti-religious part of the book - they removed it as 'the church' and I think it's more of an 'establishment'. In my opinion that is a mistake, because I hate it when people mess with story lines and stick in replacement matieral which often sucks (Harry Potter films infuriate me)

I haven't read any of his other material, I think it is mostly younger reader stuff. However, Lyra's Oxford and the Book of Dust (unreleased as yet) are both set in the HDM universe and I can't wait for the Book of Dust to come out.