Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Phil Istine Mod Retirement (1 Viewer)

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
Phil recently stepped down from moderator duties on Writing Forums.

Phil has been an outstanding Mod on this site for a long time, and was a good example to me when I accepted the responsibility. Luckily, Phil is still very active as a member, because his advice and sharp wit add a LOT to the WF experience.

WF and our members owe Phil a lot for his great service as both a Board and Global Mod, and I wanted to get my thanks on record here. :)

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
Cheers, mate. The time is right for me to take a decent break as I'm burnt out elsewhere in life and I need to step back and make some big adjustments - not least in adapting to some health issues. This has caused some knock-on effects. A physical, mental, emotional and financial reset is needed, and this will mean moving house to scale down. I've put it off too long already. I've lived in this flat for 34 years so it will take a bit of getting used to.
I'm on pills to make me pee, pills to thin my blood, and pills to lower cholesterol. Nine months ago I wasn't on anything. The daft thing is that I don't feel ill.
I've been glad to put some time into helping the forum run, and may do so again in the future, but I think that may be some time away.

PiP

Staff member
Co-Owner
Yep, Phil has been an outstanding moderator for many years. Even when he was ill he usually still signed in to check the boards. I am relieved to see phil is still active on WF and continues to make valuable contributions to our community.

Good luck with the move, Phil. I can only imagine how much clutter you have acquired after living in the same place for 34 years.

Mark Twain't

Staff member
Board Moderator
I've only been a member for a short time and a moderator for even less but from what I've seen Phil, you are a much valued member of this community and I'm glad you're sticking around.

All the best
Marc

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
Thanks for the contribution, I am glad we are not losing you entirely. Those statins do me for remembering names, are they giving you regular blood tests to check the warfrin levels, you don't want the blood getting too thin. Welcome to getting older :)

Phil Istine

WF Veterans
Thanks for the contribution, I am glad we are not losing you entirely. Those statins do me for remembering names, are they giving you regular blood tests to check the warfrin levels, you don't want the blood getting too thin. Welcome to getting older :)
I understand that fairly frequent blood tests are needed with warfarin, but I'm on a different thinner called rivaroxaban that requires very little testing. Indeed, after about six months on these I'm nearly due to start on half-strength ones (20mg to 10mg). I haven't started the statins yet as I kept forgetting to take them. I'll start this evening as they are meant to be taken at night. Apparently, they take a couple of weeks to kick in.
My goal is to eventually come off everything except the blood thinner, but I need to implement a healthier lifestyle first

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
I am out of touch, I used to work in hematology reception in the mid seventies and we did the tests. Walking is good. When I broke my leg I wore a pedometer and did 11 thousand steps a day. I would always walk the first bus stop, and never stand still on the platform waiting for a train. After a bit it all gets easier, you don't have to do everything at once, just a bit more every time.

petergrimes

Hi Phil, sorry to hear the Doctors have got to you too. I hope things work out as best they can and I don't envy you moving, but if it works out better for you then that can only be a good thing. I've luckily (to my knowledge) never come across you in your former mod role. But all the times I have had interactions with you you've been a stand up guy, really helpful and really funny. Thank you. Hope all of this works out for you and I see you around again in future. But in the meantime try and chill. You deserve the rest. Cheers mate, all the best PG :)