Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Personal Politix (2 Viewers)

aimeefriedland

Personal Politix by Aimee Friedland
I fucking hate so many aspects of the way our society functions. Corrupt politics, sure, but the issue that affects me most is the media and the way it's shaping the modern teenaged girl to hate her body, (I know this, because I'm one of them).

I think it's obvious that the supermodel ideal cannot be realistically attained, (most of us lack the pouty lips, long, lean legs, and childlike doe-eyes necessary to make it in that occupation), however, the word on the street is that supermodels are très passé, in fact, it's the stars of Hollywood that really capture our hearts. Apparently actresses portray a more realistic body type. Let's see, I can think of THREE girls in Hollywood who could even be considered 'average' by medical standards (you see, we as teenagers now have a drastically different definition of what is average weight, which is much lower than physically healthy). These celebrities like Liv Tyler & Drew Barrymore admitted to being told by casting agents that they were too fat for the role.

Even the popular teen magazines that endorse loving your body the way it is recognize that the new focus on 'health' (aka weight-loss) needs to be addressed in their publications' content. Thus we see the influx of exercise plans advertised on the front page, such as, "flatten your abs in 2 weeks!" Perhaps articles like these are beneficial in supplementing those who are already active, but for girls like me it just makes us feel guilty for not exercising enough, (and in my own experience, this does not make me want to go out for a brisk run as much as it makes me fall deeper into my hole of sluggishness). I imagine for girls who are worse off than me, this feeling of hopelessness is only magnified.

Even if we did these exercises and followed these restrictive diets, 90% of us probably wouldn't even be able to achieve the slender arms, taut abdominals, and unblemished, smiling faces of the 16 year old models as they reach down, barbells in hand, for their third repetition of standing side-crunches, (an easy way to tone your obliques while strengthening your upper abs!).

mammamaia

ditto the questions and comments i posted on the other piece, minus the one about russia...

btw, the huge, bold font is too much like shouting and not easy to read...

thedreamweaver

I don't really understand what your point is; it's such a cliched subject that you haven't shed much light on the subject or furthered our knowledge more than we already know. A decent essay should challenge popular opinion, not epitomise it. A better one would argue that it's healthy to have slim role models; look at the amount of obese people in the world. Obesity is a far bigger problem than anorexia - argue that for a change.

PS: I'd cut the swearing as well - 'I fucking hate' as a beginning doesn't exactly make a reader think you're particularly highbrow.

thedreamweaver

No, you don't. That is a review of a fast-food restaurant, which means nothing at all.

I mean the kind of reflective non-fiction essay that challenges the current disapproval of size-zero models.

Funwriter

Aimee, above is certainly the oddest post I have ever read. Are you on drugs or something? Should I dial the Russian version of 911 ?

Funwriter said:
Aimee, above is certainly the oddest post I have ever read. Are you on drugs or something? Should I dial the Russian version of 911 ?

Actually, "i hope you burn in hell with 10,000 mutant devils pounding their thorny penises into ur burning eeeengliiiishh pussy" serves as the signal that the person behind the character doesn't have any valid arguement or criticism.

It's their, 'I didn't like this game anyway'-bow out signature.

Look around at it's other posts - you'll find it when the character gets bested.

patthager

Not all of those who are angry are neccesarily bested, let me assure you Konignacht.

I think this piece is good for most stuff I have read on the subject. But I doubt that anyone, be it a regular reader of blogs, a philosopher, or english teacher, could give anything written on the subject any high marks. It has a very limited potential to excel. It is the worst editorial material ever.

aimeefriedland

Konignacht said:
Actually, "i hope you burn in hell with 10,000 mutant devils pounding their thorny penises into ur burning eeeengliiiishh pussy" serves as the signal that the person behind the character doesn't have any valid arguement or criticism.

It's their, 'I didn't like this game anyway'-bow out signature.

Look around at it's other posts - you'll find it when the character gets bested.

Character? Oh lord... do u think I would go to all the trouble to write everything on my website if I were merely a "character,"? look around, you can find entire blogs of my writing for christ's sake.

aimeefriedland said:
btw, you can contact my father and ask him if I am merely a character.

Haha - from what I can tell, a trumpetting daughter really does exist. But just because he has a daughter and she trumpets, it doesn't mean that they're you. Neither he nor I would have any proof that this user of a writing forum is his daughter.

Which is a good thing, since a character he probably wouldn't care for much in a daughter.

Funwriter

Aimee, please stop this, Wouldn't your dad be horribly embarrassed. Why drag his well respected name through the dirt with yours. SAD

Shawn

WF Veterans
We really shouldn't be surprised. It seems her membership has dipped into a new level of inanity, however. So much, in fact, that it is too gracious to pay her any of the attention she is receiving. Her writing is utter crap and her social skills are even worse, so perhaps we should just treat her like we would any other nobody, shall we?

Shawn

WF Veterans
Let's take some of these facts and digest them:

The original copyright on her freewebs page dates back to 2005.

And she has posted a quote from me... obviously without my consent. So I think I'll do it back.

Aimee Friedland said:
Friday, June 22, 2007

So, for the grand 2003.. I resolute:

1. Be extra cool (4 lyfe)
2. Make many super neato films.
3. World domination!
4. Discover the secret ingredient in those baked beans, yeah?
5. Vacation to France, midway falling deeply in love with un homme Français, indulging in a wild love affair resulting in emailing each other trans-continentally at seperate internet cafes while slumped over cups of warm lattes frothing with our memory of the days we spent in Paris together..

ha ha ha.

Posted by Aime
Date Posted: June 22nd, 2007... the dating is supposed to be 2003, obviously.

WritingForums join date: June 23rd, 2007.

Now, tell me... why would someone post something they wrote in 2003, date it 2007, and have an original copyright date of 2005?

That's the mark of someone who doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1349/580638233_d8eb35ae38.jpg?v=0

This image from her flickr account was posted on June 21st... it was the first image posted to that account.

June 21st, ladies and gentlemen... just a day before a blog post that was supposedly in 2003.

Let me bring you to the attention of the URL of her website. This is the most damning evidence of all.

http://www.freewebs.com/aimeeraefry/index.htm

This is the one our beloved Aimee uses in her profile.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the real Aimee Friedland's website:

http://freewebs.com/aimeefriedland/

So... what do I get out of all of this?

A case of stolen identity and extremely obsessive behavior resulting in a complete mockery of herself, and of those surrounding her. This member is guilty of plagiarism and of quite minor identity theft.

I bring the movement to ban!

At least... I still have doubts. But... who knows?

Last edited: