Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Parents are evil. (1 Viewer)

Crazy_dude6662

my parents fobid me to do nano this year. i signed up, got about 1000 words and then they banned me because "its a stupid waste of time and energy"
and its not like school this year is important or anything (not even 1% as important as last year and i was allowed do it then)

so anyone else have any sucess storys/failure storys?

how does the certificate look this year? saw on the nano site they made it different.

Crazy_dude6662

they checked my laptop.
they said if i did do it my laptop and tv would have been taken away.

they probably would have threatened to take books but in my house thats an impossibility.

I

Ilan Bouchard

I cannot understand what kind of parent would prevent a child from being creative.

Crazy_dude6662

well...yea...this year is...i have barley any classes. i have so many days off.
eg: all last week i was working in a bookshop (10-2) so i have loadsa free time)

Omnisu

It doesn't matter why they did, it's still wrong. Maybe they want him to grow up and be something respectable like a doctor. Maybe they think novelists are second class citizens! Or maybe they think writing is easy! I'd like to see them complete a nano. I know they couldn't, they wouldn't even try, because clearly writing a novel is always a complete waste of time!

tbs21

parents should be supportive of whatever their child wants. i agree with ilan. i can't see why forcing you to stop was you good thing to them. they should support your creativity, whatever it is. at least your not out doing drugs or something like that!

Hodge

pliable
I love how when people complain online everyone assumes they're getting the pure, unadultered truth.

CandieK

First get your priorities straight. Put school first on your list and after that I don't see why your parents' wouldn't let you do what you want with your spare time. (unless of course it's something they should be concerned about)

You could try explaining it to them more clearly? It's a wonderful creative outlet and gives you a sense of accomplishment and responsibility for your commitments.

CandieK

Hodge said:
I love how when people complain online everyone assumes they're getting the pure, unadultered truth.
There's no indication or possible way of knowing he's lying, so I'd rather be encouraging.

A

AgoNxRuS

Just tell them they're idiots. I tend to do that quite a lot, and I know that when I say that, it's not for fun, there's a lot of truth in it. I'm always correct when we're arguing over something. Unless we're talking about names of vegetables and fruits, or math. Just supply with proof from your own words, and use common sense (Make sure it has some logic into it though).

Omnisu

Hodge said:

Since we can not possibly know the truth - truely, the only way we could would be to actually be the original poster, in which case we wouldn't be in the position to offer advice anyway - we must either work with what we have, or do nothing at all.

I did get the impression, however, that the OP is the sort of child who is 'so smart he is flunking'. They certainly have a right to demand he does well in school. However, preventing an artists from practicing his craft is just cruel, and naturally writing hits close to home. Therefore, I don't care why his parents stopped him, just that they did, and I'll support him no matter how bad he's doing at school.

Crazy_dude6662

actually, im not doing bad at school. i was one of the few people in my class to get all honours (thats c and above) in my exams. i know it sounds bad, but its okay outta 10 exams, and my parents even said they couldnt be more pleased.
im relaxing this year because for the next 2 years i will be under EXTREEM pressure (the exam i will be taking basically deicides what i can and cannot do in college (point system).

A

AgoNxRuS

You're proud of a bloody C-?. Throw yourself under a truck this instant!
I'm learning in a place where education is the least of the worries to the people, the only problem I do encounter is history, Israelis love Hitler, so I have to learn every detail about his life, which I care not about, 50 A4 sheet pages essay on Hitler... And yet I still learn, which is the only reason I don't get any lower marks then an A on ever subject except for history. Therefor you should reconsider about studying a little for school... it won't kill you. Once you'll get a big fat A+ tell them that you deserve what you wish to archive, and sign up to that thing you wanted to sign up to.

Last edited by a moderator: