Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Paper Book or Audio Book? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren White

co-owner and admin
Staff member
Co-Owner
No audiobook for me. I'm with Darkkin there. I cannot focus. Paperbook or e-reader for me. Music in the background is fine, audiobooks are not.
E-reader the preferred device since I can enlarge the font.

Theglasshouse

WF Veterans
I am considering audiobooks since I read somewhere that it helps people with dyslexia or more pertinently ADD (people with dyslexia can have add). That is, although some people with dyslexia hold different beliefs. I use an e-reader since I own a Kindle. I haven't finished many fiction books because of my ADD. That might explain the difference between some other people. I also read this in an online blog for people who may have disabilities.

I read a lot of nonfiction. To get far in a fiction book I need to invert the colors of the kindle and create a contrast. The Kindle eBook reader needs to improve for me. Non-fiction is less demanding to read for the most part. The voice also sounds a bit robotic and is a chore for me. Still I use a kindle to listen to music. It wasn't a bad purchase. I can read a nonfiction book faster, or I can use the music to not be bored during exercise. I also own an iPod and I use a kindle for the big screen which allows me to pick the music I want to listen to for free.

For fiction I suspect I will need to listen to it using an audiobook to finish more novels during a year.

Last edited:

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Hardcover paper is still my first choice. Hard to explain why. However, I do love my Kobo. I can read it anywhere, even standing in the grocery checkout line with a shopping bag in hand. I have also learned to enjoy reading on my laptop. If I have let one sit for a while and forgot some aspects, it's easier to get refreshed because you can search for certain words, like names or places. And Amazon Kindle Unlimited has been amazing, especially since I have been focusing on indie authors lately. You can download so many for free, I'm like a kid in a candy store.

I don't enjoy listening as much as reading, so audit books have limited use for me. Recently, I bought wireless earplugs so I can listen while working out. I have been trying to get through Queen's Gambit, but I'm not crazy for the narrator. The other thing that is limiting with listening is time. I realized that I typically read different parts at different speeds. If I were reading it, I would scan over the many chess games and focus on the story. Plus sometimes I like to stop and ponder, even if just for a few seconds, a passage or conversation.

Mostly, I just really love the act of reading with my eyes, nothing except perhaps writing is more enjoyable to me.

Irwin, I have that same problem with audio books: mind wandering, and I'm so picky about my readers. I only listen to audio books of books I've read before, or books that aren't important (like collections of essays from the 1900s that have little relevance anymore), so that I can let my mind wander and it's not frustrating. Occasionally I listen to audio poetry, but the reader has to be perfect. I really dislike it when readers of poetry stop in the middle of lines for "emphasis" or "expression," or they read so theatrically it sounds fake to my ears, or their voice is too sharp and angular sounding (I wish I had a better way of describing that), or they read out of meter. I like Tom O'Bedlam reading Yeats, Tennyson, or Byron (he's on YouTube). His voice is warm and rolling with just enough "rasp" to sound natural, and he always reads in the proper meter.

I like paper books a lot, but I find them so satisfying to focus on that I physically will not be able to tear myself from a book no matter what else I have to do. So occasionally reading on Project Gutenberg is nice because then I can stop more easily ... sometimes. And if I need to process information, having it in writing is best. Learning from lecture videos without a transcript or whiteboard is super hard for me.

Last edited:

KeganThompson

Staff member
Board Moderator
Ebooks over audio. I like to focus and reread something if I need to. What I like about ebooks over paper back is it's easier to keep track of where you're at and I like to highlight words I don't know and have the definition pop up instantly. Then I save the words to look at later to help build my vocab. I never messed with an audiobook but I've heard over people play them and if it's not a short story like a creepy pasta I'm not that in audiobooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.