Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Outline (1 Viewer)

Shinn

Hi guys :)

I've got an idea for a TV drama series, and I know how to write the outline, but do I have to go into detail about everything that happens, or not? Hope you can help me with this.

~ Shinn

Wallmaker

Depends on who the outline is for and for how many episodes you are outlining. If it's for yourself, do what makes sense and if you can keep some details in your head, no need to put extra details on paper, just write what you need. If it's for someone else, make the outline clear as possible. If it was me and it was one episode I'm outlining, I'd write at least 4 pages outlining each act and maybe a extra half the teaser. Since your are introducing characters and whatnot, it's probably going to get longer. If it's a two parter... even longer.

If this is for the whole show/season... it could get a lot bigger, or maybe about the same size if you're dealing with the over all plot.

Anyway, I know it's an ambiguous answer, but from your question, it looks like this is really call on what you need from your outline.

Shinn

Hi Wallmaker :)

Thanks for your advice.

Maybe I could PM you what I have so far for my TV series outline? (Have you ever heard of a TV series called "London's Burning"? It kind of follows it but my pilot episode and all future ones focus more on the casts' thoughts of their jobs and how the people around them are affected by the nature of their job.)

~ Shinn

Last edited:

Wallmaker

I have not seen London's Burning, I'm afraid. However... maybe it's good practice! You could be pitching your story to someone who doesn't know London's Burning and you still have to make them want to work with you.
Anyways, feel free to PM it to me. In fact, now I'm very curious about it :)

Shinn

As an update, I've just finished the pilot episode and I'm halfway through the outline. So, after I finish the outline, do I send the outline and pilot episode to producers straight away?

mi is happy

Hey there buddy. Before you send it to a producer(s) make sure it is perfect and you find imfo. on the company you're sending it to. They could take your idea if they aren't genuin.