Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Out of Era Circumstances (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzap07

Oh, Gezz' I don't know how to title my thread' sorry' :D

So here is the issue.
My character wanted to go to York from London (In Victorian era)

I've done some research' and found this train, flying scotsman, as the best way to do that.
It departured at 10:00 from King's cross and would reach York at lunch'

The problem is I want my character to leave at +-15.00 from london so He'll arrive in York little bit late at night.

Is it okay if I write it like that, although I don't know if there's another train to support the character to do that.
Well, I am writing fiction story anyway' right? Not some history.

Here's another info that may be needed :
  • London to York is 204 miles
  • Speediest train at that time was flying scotsman with average speed 55 mph
  • And average express trains speed, other than flying scotsman was 40 mph

Rustgold

Let's put it this way.
Nobody is going to check if a train departed London at 15:00 in 1880.

Also, from my 1920's research, there were enough trains going from London to basically pick a timeslot and it'll be close. Now, if it was Bristol to Newcastle, then you might wish to check, but London, I wouldn't worry (as this is a fiction story).

And :thumbl: for wanting your story to be true/realistic, something few authors seem to care about these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.