Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

...out of books... (1 Viewer)

Kaku-Ryu

Summer is here! No more school! ...No more books.
I need a few good books to read and I thought maybe you guys could help me out.

I mostly just read fantasy books. I like books with dragons, phoenixs(sp?), witches, magic, new lands etc. No fantasy books with talking animals please!!

I like a book that has lots of twists and turns and is easy to get into but not too difficult to read.

My fav. books are; The Secret Country, In the Forests of Serre, The Sword of Shannara series, and (don't hurt me!) Eragon.
Books I didn't like were Harry Potter and Shadowmancer.

I think that pretty much sums it up. :)

journyman161

You might like 'Songs of Earth & Power' by Greg Bear. It's slightly unusual fantasy that could happen tomorrow. Full of faerie lore & some pretty gross creatures that talk, but they're not animals.

Hodge

pliable
A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. And then read the two sequels that are currently out. By the time you've read those, the fourth installment should be out, although considering it's already over a year late, it wouldn't surprise me if it was delayed again.

Kane

It took me almost two weeks to read those. I only WISH the 4th would be out in that amount of time.

Hodge

pliable
Well dammit—it's been delayed again. Last time I checked, Amazon said the release date was July 7th. Now it's November. It told me way back in 2002 that it was due out in April of 2003... Argh!

Good books though, I highly recommend them. As epic as The Lord of the Rings yet completely original. And by completely original I mean there are no fantasy clichés in them and magic is something very different.

Talia_Brie

Steven Erikson's Malazan Books of the Fallen. They're a little complicated, but alongside George Martin for quality and originality.

Also contain some of the greatest battle scenes ever written.

1. Gardens of the Moon
2. Deadhouse Gates
3. Memories of Ice
4. House of Chains (I think)

There is intended to be 10 in all.

Kaku-Ryu

Hodge said:
A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. And then read the two sequels that are currently out.
These look pretty good! I'll have to pick them up when I go to the bookstore! Thanks :p

Talia_Brie said:
Also contain some of the greatest battle scenes ever written.

1. Gardens of the Moon
2. Deadhouse Gates
3. Memories of Ice
4. House of Chains (I think)
Well then they are defiantly worth checking out! :shock: :D Thanks!

Kaku-Ryu

Kira the wanderer said:
Hmm.. I want to take a look at Eragon. Was it good?

Well...

I say it was...but if you look around at the "Eragon" threads here you'll find people who either strongly agree with me that it was good or you'll find people that strongly disagree and say it was horrible.
So...

I say read at your own risk. :lol:

styx

The Golden Compass

Have you read the Philip Pullman books- The Golden Compass etc.? They're really good. Though perhaps the talking animals issue might not work for you...
It seems like Eragon is worth checking out, even just for the controversy it provokes.

A

angelfaith

I think eragon is really good i'm reading the second book now and that seems good to. You have to read the phillip pullman books they are all so good and wonderfully written.

Users who are viewing this thread