Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

opinions please? (1 Viewer)

So for AP English we have been given The Awakening by Kate Chopin

FROM THE PUBLISHERWhen it first appeared in 1899, Kate Chopin’s The Awakening was greeted with cries of outrage. The novel’s frank portrayal of a woman’s emotional, intellectual, and sexual awakening shocked the sensibilities of the time and destroyed the author’s reputation and career. Many years passed before this short, pioneering work was recognized as a major achievement in American literature. Set in and around New Orleans, The Awakening tells the story of Edna Pontellier, a young wife and mother. While on vacation, Edna meets the son of a Louisiana resort owner, with whom she gradually falls in love. As she pulls away from her husband, Edna begins to develop a sense of herself as a whole person, with unique wants, interests, and desires. Determined to control her own life, she flouts convention by moving out of her husband’s house, having an adulterous affair, and becoming an artist.

I havent read it yet, but to me it seems like a novel with a feminist agenda, and frankl portrayls of sexual acts. Im not saying anythings wrong with that, but it seems a rather poor choice for a High School English class. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that both of the teachers picking the reading are female feminists and i know at least one of them likes romance novels.

But im not really trying to knock it since i havent read it, i just wanted people opinions on A) If you have read it what you thought and B) if it also strikes you as a so-so choice for a highschool english class.

Addison

It wouldn't surprise me, you know. She was the bastard offspring of an illicit tryst between Franz Liszt (before his monastic days) and Frederic Chopin (before his cemetery days) - coming from such a background, she probably wrote all sorts of Terrible & Confusing Things.

Last edited: