Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Opinion (1 Viewer)

pheebs

Hey,
I'm trying to write a script to give to the theatre company I work with that may later be used in one of their productions. Just 30min so quite easy to write the only problem is that I have no ideas.

If you have any ideas for a scipt that can be used in amatuer theatre please reply:thumbr: I was oriinally thinking fantasy but any other ganre is good too, also it was originally for actors age range 6-16 but I also like other ideas.....really I'm not fussed as long as I get some ideas...

please and thankyou,
pheebs

mammamaia

you're leaving it way too broad, pheebs!... give me an age range and a genre you're interested in writing [and can write], and i'll see if i can come up with some ideas...

it would help to know how large/small a cast this company can handle, too...

pheebs

Hi, thanks for replying and the problem is I don't know because I've only done one One Act play with the company before and I suppose there were around 30 people but most were extras with no lines, actually make it around 20...between 20-30....I suppose fantasy is what I write so there's the genre;) and well I guess the age range is 6-16 but like the main characters would best be 11-14 age range because I have a habit of writing the main character as if it were me *blushes* so its easier that way but yeah I'm sorry its probably still too broad...
please and thankyou...other people please you can still give ideas...
pheebs

mammamaia

if you like fantasy best, why not play around with the retelling of a fairy tale?... could set it in modern times or even in the future, if you also like to dabble in sci fi... could be something the kid-actors would have fun with, too...

think of the cinderella story, for instance... set it in the classroom, with the teacher being the wicked stepmother and the stepsisters [or brothers!] the most popular, bullying ones in the class... cinderella could be a new kid who's made to clean the chalkboards and not picked for this team or that... and so on... prince charming could be another newcomer, or the class hero, who finally sees his dream girl in the shy, mistreated heroine and comes to her rescue...

or, think of a new take on snow white and the seven dwarfs... both stories have enough good main and secondary parts and can include all troupe members as side characters... same goes for any number of old standards...

all you need here is a touch of imagination... hope this helps... m

pheebs

Hey thanks for that it really helps, they are some good ideas...I guess TV has taken away my power to imagine...hehe...nah...I just feel that I am copying if I base it on something that has already been done but I guess not because everyone seems to do it so it must be ok...

if anyone ellse has any ideas that they wanna share please feel free to do so:)

please and thankyou,
pheebs

Aztecsfinest

A queston of imagination you say!

Maybe I can help. Normally with fantasy there is always a story about a brave knight saving the damsel in distress.

Perhaps you could make it a type of king Arthur quest. Ummm... Let me think...

The knight must find a sacred weapon created by the gods to defeat a monster who has imprisoned the princess aka the damsel in distress he is sworn to protect.
The Standard girls are weak crap gets on everyones nerves I agree... So lets make it interesting, while the knight battles the beast, the knight is captured instead only to find that the damsel has already escaped long ago!

And now it is up to the damsel to save the knight.
The damsel journeys home to say she's okay but now must journey back and fight the beast!
She finds the sword at it's feet and slays the monster.
Add in a group of men who journey alongside the knight and maybe a few women for the quest of the damsel as all the men are captured!

Suggested Ending dialogue:
Knight:
My Hero!

It is possible to do it all in one act. Shade the area where the lair is when not in use and brighten the area that is in use.

In times like this props are key along with quick hands. Background will have to be changed when the lights are low. Never draw the curtains it looks bad, I tend to use lighting, much easier!

I hope this helped!

Eternal commradery-
Aztecs Finest

Last edited: