Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Opening Line Prompts (1 Viewer)

Selorian

Patron
While I was on Twitter, I started a hashtag I called Story Starters that were basically opening line prompts. I thought something like that could be fun to do here. They can be used as is anywhere in a story or just as inspiration. I'll start with a couple to get things going.

The Inner Circle of Hell is being locked within one's own mind.

In the junkyard he was a god, creating life from the bits and pieces others thought were useless.

Kyle R

WF Veterans
Fun idea! I'll toss a few out there.

- Her leg was the first thing to disappear, vanishing just below her knee, in a puff of smoke.

- He heard it in the living room, in his bathroom, even through the floorboards under his bed.

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
My latest was:

"You'll recognize this truth: From time to time in your life, you make a mistake when you know better."

But it's really a set up for the whole opening:

"You'll recognize this truth: From time to time in your life, you make a mistake when you know better. You didn't take the precaution you knew to take. You didn't follow the rule you made for yourself and it cost you. You fantasize about returning to that moment and doing it the right way. But you can't, and you have to live with it.

I almost failed to live."

Selorian

Patron
- Every fall his skin turned various splendid shades and fell away like the leaves.

- For Crest Falls to maintain its small town charm required a large cemetery.

TheMightyAz

As the bricks tied around my ankles pulled me to the river bed, I wondered if I'd turned the gas off.

I tightened the thin, rubber tubing around my upper forearm, and with a thumb said goodbye.

Last edited:

indianroads

Staff member
Board Moderator
It was hell's season, and the air smelled of burning children. (Robert McCammon, Gone South)

Listen: Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time. (Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five)

It was a pleasure to burn. (Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451)

SueC

Staff member
Senior Mentor
Opening Line Prompts: This might make a fun comp on WF (this is not a prompt LOL)

Selorian

Patron
It was hell's season, and the air smelled of burning children. (Robert McCammon, Gone South)

Listen: Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time. (Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five)

It was a pleasure to burn. (Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451)

Some good ones in there. The opening line for Stephen King's Dark Tower: The Gunslinger is one that stands out for me. This thread was actually more for opening lines created to be used as prompts by others, not ones from published work (always good for examples though).

Opening Line Prompts: This might make a fun comp on WF (this is not a prompt LOL)

That could be fun.

vranger

Staff member
Board Moderator
This thread was actually more for opening lines created to be used as prompts by others, not ones from published work

Ok, I didn't get that, so let's give it a try:

"I always approached cooking with confidence until the night I decided to prepare a dessert I now refer to as terror misu."

"I curse the fortune cookie that told me the safest way to get the most bang for my buck was to splurge on fireworks."

"I should never have let the line of birds staring down at me from the power wire remind me of Hitchcock."

Last edited:

Olly Buckle

Mentor
Patron
The metal door handle was wet with condensation in the cold night air, another reason I hadn't wanted to take hold of it.

Selorian

Patron
- I’ve always considered myself a reasonably sane and intelligent individual, but I've recently come to question that belief.

Foxee

Patron
Patron
Ramshackle, black-hearted, and built like a tank, she was a bad idea that Morris couldn't stop thinking about.

Selorian

Patron
- Time shifted and the room changed, becoming darker and grittier than it was just a moment before.

- Midnight was the hour of my birth and will be the hour of my death.

Users who are viewing this thread