Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

One of my main characters is just me in a different universe (1 Viewer)

JimmyTheAlien

So I'm writing this Trans Guy who is ALOT like me
I realize he's really me from an alternate universe lol
He represents becoming who I wanna become
A superhero really
Does anyone else do this?
Write a character that is you on purpose?

Sinister

The main character in my WIP is an analog of me. He's from a different area of the states, his circumstances are different, his build is different. But he's me.

It's a cheap and easy way to lend an important character some authenticity. And I'm told practically every author does it to some extent whether they're aware of it or not. I doubt very many people can call you out on it, either, unless they know you well enough or you make the character obvious and virtually identical.

-Sin

Fiender

I don't do it on purpose but...

puts on artsy fartsy hat.

Really, all of our characters have at least a little of us in their personalities. At least, I feel, if we're doing it right.

My protags have some of the flaws I struggle with, and the strengths I think I have, certainly that I wish to have. My antags sometimes reflect the things about myself I don't like, or they aim to invoke the things that make me scared or uncomfortable in my life.

Megan Pearson

Peter S. Beagle once confessed that in his A Fine and Private Place, that his MC was him before he knew how to write characters.

It was a great book when I read it in the early 90s. If you didn't already know Peter you'd never know he wrote himself into the story.

vranger

Staff member
Supervisor
My main characters are certainly influenced by me, but none of them are demonstrably me. They might occasionally say something I might say, or have an attitude that would remind someone close to me ... of me. However, I'm a software developer who sits at a computer to design interfaces and make business systems nice to use, plus I write fiction. My protagonists are involved in much more stressful and exciting lives than I face. :) Thank goodness!