Writingforums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

One Idea for a Cover (1 Viewer)

garza

Here's one of the ideas I've had for a cover, if Seven Miles on a Dirt Road starts to look like a book.

Book%20Title%20a.jpg.opt403x523o0,0s403x523.jpg

legendhunter

The art is very nice, but I feel that if you could give a hint as to what this journey on the dirt road entails by putting in something the character receives from someone else in the story, like maybe a bottle of water in his pocket or a soda can. Something depicting the severity of the journey. Or if the title is misleading and it's not about a journey but instead a kind of poetic title about something completely different from a journey then perhaps put something in there depicting what it is really about, but don't make it too obvious just make it to where the reader will not know what it means until they reach that part of the story.

garza

The book is a series of connected sketches modelled on VS Naipaul's Miguel Street. The sketches are about the people who live along the road, which runs 'from the edge of town to the edge of nowhere...' and ends in a village named Seven Miles. There is a village by that name in the Cayo District, and the village where I live is seven miles from the nearest town, so the title was sort of a natural for me.

One of several threads that runs all through the book is the story of a character we first meet as a kid rescuing a puppy. That's where I got the idea for the cover.

Looking at it now I'm wondering if the cover might give the impression it's juvenile literature. While it's 'all ages' rated, I wouldn't want adults to avoid it thinking it's a kid's book.

garza

Not bold enough, is it? Thanks for your general comment. I was worried about whether I got the colours too bright, but Olly's comment made me decide to leave them as they are.

By using the kid on the cover, do you think people might mistake it for juvielit?

TheFuhrer02

WF Veterans
^ Using the outline-style for the font on the caption below makes it hard to read on its current size. If you want to retain the outline-style, increasing the font size by 1 or 2 should take care of that nit quite well. Or, maintain the size then go for solid-style lettering.

And no, I didn't think it was a kiddie novel. The title made that quite clear for me.

A question, though. Is the kid the protagonist of the story? That's fine. I recall an almost similar style of cover in Grisham's "The Client." The story's protagonist is also a kid. The novel worked quite well. :D

garza

The kid is one of the principal characters. His story is threaded through all the other sketches. Each sketch centres around one person, but a few characters appear throughout. The real protagonist is the road which 'binds them all' to coin a phrase. The nearest to what I have in mind is VS Naipaul's Miguel Street which is neither a novel nor a series of short stories but is, rather, a series of closely related sketches, bound together by the street. My sketches follow a 20-year timeline, from mid 30s to mid 50s. Thus we see first see Danny as he rescues a puppy at age ten and at the end of the book as a veterinary surgeon at age 30. His life is one of many played out along seven miles of a dirt road.

Leaving the bottom line the same size but going to a solid typeface is what I think I'll do. Thanks for that suggestion.

legendhunter

I do believe that the kid on the cover somewhat gives the impression that this book is juvenile. Reading what the story was about more though I thought what if instead of having the boy there you have instead the boy in a veterinary suit while riding the bike? Or if you want to keep the boy there you could display him holding a puppy or even displaying the puppy in the background while pointing the child's face toward the puppy?

The Backward OX

WF Veterans
I’m unsure whether or not this is off-topic. It’s not about dirt roads but it is about writing – sort of.

What I want to know is how a South American gang leader came to believe that a guy from Mississippi was not a gringo but was one of them, simmply from the name Ricardo Garcia-Ramirez. I thought South Americans were swarthy. We have living in our town an indigenous Australian going by the name of Basil Featherstone rather than something like Mulrunji Doomadgee. You see his name somewhere but you’ve never met the man, you assume he’s from British stock. It’s only when you meet him, you realise something doesn’t add up.

garza

legendhunter - Your comments re-enforce my doubts and convince me I need to change the proposed cover.

xO - I know nothing about South American gang leaders - I've never been to South America. I do know a great deal about Central American former rebel fighters. They were not criminal gangs. They were political revolutionaries fighting for freedom. Adopting a hispanic-sounding variation of my real name made introductions easier.

Central Americans come in all flavours. While a majority are 'swarthy', as you call it, many are very dark, reflecting pure or nearly pure African ancestry, while others of pure or nearly pure European ancestry are clear skinned. The Garinagu of Belize, Honduras, and Nicaragua are among the darkest skinned people in the Americas, and they all have hispanic names.

Edit - The picture is of a kid born in El Salvador and is a much processed photo, but the skin tones are correct. I posed him standing by a white wall and used another photo for the background. His grandfather's picture, a much retouched photo, is in one of the WF Newsletters titled 'Un Amigo Viejo'. Purists weep at what I do. I often combine a photo, hand sketching, and oil or watercolour to produce a picture. Only in straight news photos am I a purist.

I'm thinking I need a picture of a rural road with maybe a barn or old farmhouse on the side.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread