Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

One Hundred Years of Solitude (1 Viewer)

Salad

I've just read the book One Hundred Years of Solitude, and I think it is the most amazing book ever written. It deals with so much, and never fails to amaze. What do you all think about it? (especially the ending- which completely blew me away. I went and read the last chapter two times more after I had finished it)

Mike C

WF Veterans
I loved it, mostly, but I found the mounting disaster and misery, generation after generation, just too much, and never finished it. I'll have to get back to it one of these days.

Vanest

Cien Años de Soledad is García Márquez's most famous book. It is also one of the most important novels in Latinamerican literature. I read it for the first time when I was 18 and have read it about five times since. I always find something new and revealing. The book is alive with the history of Colombia, in particular, but all of Latin America in general.

What you say here:
Mike C said:
I loved it, mostly, but I found the mounting disaster and misery, generation after generation, just too much, and never finished it. I'll have to get back to it one of these days.
Is because it is an accurate, but painful, depiction of our society, politics, religion and world in general. The story of the Buendías could be any family's story. I found many of my relatives in the book...

Salad

That's why its so brilliant- because the characters have bits of everyone in them. They seem real, which doesn't happen very often. You feel as if you actually know his characters, which makes their sorrow all the worse.

salad days

Marquez leaves me speechless everytime I read his books. and I have every single one of them too. His use of language is so amazing..

strangedaze

i just finished 'memories of my meloncholy whores.' not bad. short, kind of twisted. i was trying to decide between cholera and a hundred years, but i think i know which im going to pick.

I was confused, i felt it rambled, but I have to say, it was magic the way he sowed it all up into a leather purse of a story. End was great.