Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

old book new design{truly 4th end of fates} (1 Viewer)

kunox

the book is already out but someone did a new design for it... any thoughts.

4th end of fates new cover.jpg4th end of fates new cover.jpg

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
The order in which I see elements:

1. Illustration
  2. Author
  3. Title

Questions:
  1. Does the illustration sell this book?
  2. Will this book sell because of author name recognition?
  3. Is the title more important than the illustration or author?

Depending on the answers to these questions, a change may be needed, or not.

kunox

it is probably not going to sell because of the authors name alone.. lol.. the title isn't as important.... the illastratorisan unknwn.. I am probably not going to sell much of these etherway.. I may even put the story up on wattpad eventually to get it readevem... it is a long story... lol.. ether way I like to think it is an improvement over the cover I currently have.

Taylor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Those colours are very down. It wouldn't attract my eye. But on first glance, I would think it was a very literary story, or poetry anthology.

kunox

how do you convert a png file to a pdf file. just curious.. especially without losing size...

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
Looking at the two covers, I'm not sure either is an improvement on the other. To be honest, they both need work, but in different ways.

When a designer is presented with a book cover project, he/she will quickly work up many quick ideas. These thumbnails can number in the tens. It's a quick way of developing ideas without a lot of time investment.

Then the designer will select the top contenders (could be as few as two or as many as time permits) and develop them further.

Once those "comps" are ready for client review, meaning still rough but clean and clear enough for the client to understand the concept, they are reviewed and a favorite is picked by the client.

That favorite cover idea is then worked further in successive iterations and client proofs until the design is nailed down and all concerns are addressed.

This is a typical process for most visual design projects. It's never a "one-shot here you go" affair. It involves hours of playing around with the elements, coming up with different variations on one specific concept, eliminating the weak ones and making the strong ones even stronger and setting them against each other.

That's how good design is achieved: it's grown, not found.

Not singling you out here, just pointing out the principles of good design process for you and anyone else who is interested.

I do wish you luck on the book!

sigmadog

Staff member
Media Manager
how do you convert a png file to a pdf file. just curious.. especially without losing size...

Sorry! I missed your question.

Converting a PNG to PDF requires specific software that can handle both formats. I'm not sure what's available on the low end, but Photoshop is what I use. Try searching for "PNG to PDF conversion" and see what you get.

Here's the problem as I see it, however: In creating artwork for marketing (and book covers are marketing), you should always start with the highest quality and highest resolution as your Master file. Then, when it comes time to create the different file formats (PDF / JPG / PNG / TIF etc.) you can maintain a consistent quality while providing file formats in whatever size/pixels required.

In my opinion, going from PNG to PDF may be problematic, especially if the resolution and color demands are higher for the PDF. You can't ADD quality going from PNG to PDF. So if your PNG is, say, 300x300 pixels, but the size requirements for the PDF are 600x600pixels, you have a problem. If you were doing a straight transfer from 300 ---> 300, then it might be okay, though the quality would likely be better if you were reducing the size.

Switching file formats can be tricky when it comes to pixel sizes, as shown above, but when you ad RGB/CMYK color modes and potential print resolution variables, it can be a nightmare if you are starting with a PNG, which is a very lean and limited file type.

Backstroke_Italics

By far the best free option for converting png to pdf is Gimp. Highly recommend. Because Gimp can do photo editing and vector graphics (basically babby photoshop and babby illustrator all in one package) it is an indispensable tool for anyone on a budget.