Writing Forums

Writing Forums is a privately-owned, community managed writing environment. We provide an unlimited opportunity for writers and poets of all abilities, to share their work and communicate with other writers and creative artists. We offer an experience that is safe, welcoming and friendly, regardless of your level of participation, knowledge or skill. There are several opportunities for writers to exchange tips, engage in discussions about techniques, and grow in your craft. You can also participate in forum competitions that are exciting and helpful in building your skill level. There's so much more for you to explore!

Okay, so how about Da Vinci himself? (1 Viewer)

krazyklassykat

Not precisely an author, I know. But I suppose he did write, in addition to all the other things he did. Well, now that I know the majority's opinion on The Da Vinci Code, I was just curious what you all think of Leonardo Da Vinci.

I watched the special on the history channel just last night. Did anyone else? Some interesting things about Da Vinci...

ProudestMonkey

Yeah I watched "Da Vinci: Decoded" and "Modern Marvels" on what he designed hundreds of years before they were invented anew. He is the most facinating man I have ever read/heard/watched about in my entire life, though that may seem exagerated. He single-handely created ingenius weapons, inventions years before their times, and some of the most beautiful artwork we have today. The only other person that I'm facinated with as much I as am Da Vinci, is Edgar Cayce - or, as he is called "The Sleeping Prophet".

krazyklassykat

Cool! I really like Da Vinci, too, though I still don't know a lot about him. I know that "Da Vinci" only means "from the town of Vinci", because he was an illegitimate son, and that he was (most likely) homosexual. Nothing against that, of course. I had to explain to someone just today why Da Vinci was considered such a genius. They had to focus on the fact that many of his inventions wouldn't have functioned... come on, that's not the point, now, is it! Lol. But personally, my favorite author is Edgar Allan Poe. I hate that that may seem cliché. I am not a cliché person. I take pride in liking things that most people don't. But sometimes you just can't avoid it.

Stewart

Can I just add that there was no such person ever called Da Vinci. Da Vinci means from Vinci - it's not a name. The man you refer to was called Leonardo. Please give him that, at least. Classically, he's Leonardo da Vinci so as you won't mistake him for Leonardo di Caprio. ;)

You see, again, kat, how little research Dan Brown has done? :D

Anyway, should you wish, you can browse through Leonardo's sketchbook here.

Hodge

pliable
Leonardo Da Vinci was the ultimate renaissance man.

Interestingly, his journal has a slightly humorous passage in it. I'll very loosely paraphrase:

"I am off to test my new flying machine."

entry dated several days later

"Note to self: future tests of flying machine are not to be conducted off a cliff."

ProudestMonkey

Yes, I've heard that complaint many times, Connor Wolf, and though, you are correct in the statement that "Da Vinci" means "From Vinci", it has become a widely-used nickname for the man. I want you to sit down in a group of people and ask if they know who "Da Vinci" is, and out of the literate ones, who says 'no'. I'd be willing to bet it would be zero. Even though that doesn't make it right, just because it is widely used. But, it is for the most part, accepted.

You see, again, kat, how little research Dan Brown has done?
icon_biggrin.gif
This statement reminds me of the people less intelligent than our President, calling him stupid etc., like the people in my high school. Dan Brown did a vast amount of research, and intertwined it with a beautifully-written novel (though the dialouge is ghastly!).

Stewart

paperthin said:
Dan Brown did a vast amount of research, and intertwined it with a beautifully-written novel (though the dialouge is ghastly!).

Read more. ;)

Anyway, I don't have a list of errors from The Da Vinci Code but, by virtue of my European location, I can notice many. Others are just slapdash statements unquantified that the editor(s) should really have fixed.

Anyway, have a look at this list of errors, mistakes, etc. from Angels & Demons, the book many Dan Brown fans believe to be his best. Shocking, really, isn't it?

Anarkos

This is a thread about Leonardo da Vinci, a really quite intelligent man and brilliant artist. It is not about Dan Brown, a really quite dim man and tedious 'author'.